Premed 101 Forums

Optimal time to submit OMSAS application

Guest bradfullmer44

Guest bradfullmer44

Hi there,

I was wondering if it is especially advantageous to submit one's application as soon as possible. Should I be aiming to finish the whole package by say, end of September? Or earlier? Why, and/or why not?

Many thanks!

Nobody will look at an application that's done earlier before one that's just done on time... so the main advantage in finishing it earlier is that you don't have to worry about any server slowdowns that will probably occur during the week of October 15th, when most of the 4000 applicants will send in everything. I'm personally aiming to finish everything by the end of September.

Guest Ian Wong

I can't say for the OMSAS schools, but I doubt it. On the US premed websites, you'll hear about how early submission is a huge advantage because of rolling admissions. This is also why most US premeds write the April MCAT, because they then have their scores ready and submitted to hit the AMCAS start date in June. If you wrote the August MCAT, you wouldn't be considered for secondaries by any US med schools until they received your MCAT scores in mid-October, and by then they could have already started interviewing and accepting applicants!

However, since no Canadian schools use rolling admissions, I think the major benefit of getting stuff in a little early is so that you can confirm with the med school that they have your complete application, and you can re-send any missing materials without going over the deadline.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived