Premed 101 Forums

Competitive Stats

THX

Hi guys, I'm just trying to get a feel for what is competitive in states, as a Canadian applying there. I'm assuming you need slightly higher than an American, simply because of a bit of bias in the process.

My stats are:

AMCAS GPA: 3.85

Science GPA: ~ 3.9

MCAT: 32R

I think my stats are pretty good, especially my GPA (thank god I went to Western, it has such a great AMCAS conversion scale), but do these stats open me up to higher tier schools (as a Canadian)? Or am I limited to low to mid tier schools because of my less than 35 MCAT?

Thanks guys!

well harvard's entring class average this year was a 3.8 gpa with a 10.5-11.5 mcat, so you look quite competitive there!

yes but they value a 3.6 from MIT at a higher level than a 4.0 from a lower-tier school.

Your GPA is good, MCAT is fine for middle/low tier schools. Long-shot at top-tier but if you have some good research experience it's worth a shot.

Hi guys, I'm just trying to get a feel for what is competitive in states, as a Canadian applying there. I'm assuming you need slightly higher than an American, simply because of a bit of bias in the process.

My stats are:

AMCAS GPA: 3.85

Science GPA: ~ 3.9

MCAT: 32R

I think my stats are pretty good, especially my GPA (thank god I went to Western, it has such a great AMCAS conversion scale), but do these stats open me up to higher tier schools (as a Canadian)? Or am I limited to low to mid tier schools because of my less than 35 MCAT?

Thanks guys!

a) The posted conversion by sonyvaio is wrong! The "great" AMCAS conversion is more or less the same as OMSAS!

B) Your stats are not the be all and end all of med admissions. Flop the interview and it won't matter how great that GPA or MCAT is.

a) The posted conversion by sonyvaio is wrong! The "great" AMCAS conversion is more or less the same as OMSAS!

B) Your stats are not the be all and end all of med admissions. Flop the interview and it won't matter how great that GPA or MCAT is.

Seriously, not to burst your bubble OP, but Ken is right. Those scales are not correct. (Not that I'd know, since AMCAS is being retarded about verifying me).

If you are truly applying to the US to cover your bases, then apply broadly. Apply to the top tier schools, and the mid and low. With your numbers (assuming your GPA stat is wrong) I'd apply to 12-15 schools in the US.

I have had several confirmations that it IS in fact correct? how come? and 80+ is NOT 4.0 at all schools

and anything less than 80 and you get shafted anywayz so its not a dreamscale to start

Furthermore I would like to add that it should be similar to OMSAS for most schools anywayz because much of the scale is similar in its conversion, UWO and Queen's seem to be the exception

KennethToronto do you know the correct scale? I saw you propsed a queens scale with +s and -s, but we dont even have that on our transcript..

I have had several confirmations that it IS in fact correct? how come? and 80+ is NOT 4.0 at all schools

and anything less than 80 and you get shafted anywayz so its not a dreamscale to start

Furthermore I would like to add that it should be similar to OMSAS for most schools anywayz because much of the scale is similar in its conversion, UWO and Queen's seem to be the exception

KennethToronto do you know the correct scale? I saw you propsed a queens scale with +s and -s, but we dont even have that on our transcript..

Queen's doesn't use +s and -s. In fact, if you were in science like I was, it just uses straight up percentages. But when AMCAS finishes with them, they become converted to a GPA on a 4.0 scale and also assigned a letter grade with +s and -s.

Looking over my verified AMCAS app right now, I can tell you:

On a half semester (0.5 credit) course where I scored 86%. AMCAS converted it to a A- grade.

On a half semester (0.5 credit) course where I scored 87% or higher, AMCAS converted it to a A grade.

Then looking at the chart I linked to in the stickied thread, a A corresponds to 4.0. A (A-) corresponds to a 3.7.

There is of course, on the table, a pretty sweet scale where you get a A (4.0) if you have a percentage grade anywhere from 84-100% (I wouldn't mind that one as I have quite a few between 84%-86%). Regardless, to think a 80% at Queen's will mean a 4.0 as posted based on information from last year is impossible.

I am in science too! I have a letter grade next to my percentage, don't you?

that's so weird, a friend of mine confirmed that the only way her gpa could be the way it was is if 80+ was 4.0 because her gpa went up ~.3 (:eek: )

This thing is just so frustrated cuz we have people confirming both what you are saying and both what sonyvaio is saying as true. I guess we should all find out the hard way, and probably revise that sticky!

After a phone call to AMCAS, my file was mysteriously verified the next day.

One of my courses in which I was only assigned an 'A' with no percentage, was counted as a pass fail. WTF. By the way I was Queen's engineering and had the same scale as Ken.

The AMCAS scale is brutal. I'm appealing the one class, but over the 51 courses I've taken it isn't going to be of much consequence.

3.87 OMSAS scale, 3.71 on the AMCAS.

After a phone call to AMCAS, my file was mysteriously verified the next day.

One of my courses in which I was only assigned an 'A' with no percentage, was counted as a pass fail. WTF. By the way I was Queen's engineering and had the same scale as Ken.

The AMCAS scale is brutal. I'm appealing the one class, but over the 51 courses I've taken it isn't going to be of much consequence.

3.87 OMSAS scale, 3.71 on the AMCAS.

Wow that's a steep drop. Ugh, I guess the AAMC has found another way of screwing with us.

I got my AMCAS verified. My GPA at UBC is about... 85, so thats an A. my AMCAS average was only 3.77.

The scaling is a bit different than what was posted earlier. I hope this helps!

an overall average such as 85% cannot be directly translated into a GPA. i.e. a 95% average does NOT automatically mean it's an "A+"

Example: two students in the same class write two exams worth 50% each.

student 1: exam1=80 (3.7) exam2=90 (4.0) average = 85 GPA = 3.85

student 2: exam1=85 (4.0) exam3=85 (4.0) average = 85 GPA = 4.0

see the difference? so saying that you have an 85 at UBC doesn't mean you have an "A" average.

Archived