Premed 101 Forums

Should I apply? Advice welcomed :)

Elizabeth17

Hmmmm. Depends on how wide you want your options to be. You would have a decent chance at schools like Rosalind Franklin and Wayne State (I would e-mail WSU and confirm that they take OOS with an 8 in an MCAT section, though), or University of Vermont (also confirm that 8 is ok). If you are a minority, Meharry is also an option. Outside of that, it's really hard to say. There are schools like SUNY Upstate, Penn State, and a few others that have historically taken Canadians, but then everyone I can think of who got in there or was interviewred had a higher MCAT than you do, so I can't say whether you'd be competitive there. I applied to both with a 3.55 GPA and 32 MCAT (10-10-12), and got rejected by Penn State pre-interview - waiting to hear from SUNY. That can give you some idea.

I'd buy the MSAR and take some time to do some research on schools, and maybe even contact individual schools re: your chances - some schools are pretty honest about whether they think you'd be competitive or not.

• 3 months later...

why not UoT in Canada? Find out UoT's policy if they take best or last MCAT, I used to know, forget now...if they take best, rewrite it. And since your applying after your fourth year is done, Ottawa's gpa is probably achievable by you, and mac, and UoT most definetely will be. You will basically only be re-writing for Queens and Western. You will have a year off 'elizabeth', so suck it up and write it again.

So ya, stick to Canada in my opinion, and to everyone else, I speak like this cause I know her marks detailed, shes from Canada, and her gpa is similar in omsas.

What to do in the meantime? I think you know what I would say, take a year off or masters.

I wouldn't apply with this MCAT. You might get one or 2 interviews if you apply super early and broadly (20 schools and more). But why waste 5000$ in application fees when all you need to do is starting to study for the May MCAT. The number of applicants to medical schools is increasing every year and it's only becoming harder to get in in both the states and Canada.

You have to aim scoring 32 or more and apply super early to be on the safe side. Wayne state won't take any Canadian with a score of less than 30!

• 10 months later...
I'm a fourth year student in Medical Sciences. I have a 3.8 gpa and I scored 28Q on my MCAT (10V, 10B, 8P). Do you think I stand a chance at any American schools? Should I retake the MCAT? I really don't want to go through that again but I will if I have too...

Retaking the MCAT is probably very stressful and frustrating,

but it's really nothing compared to going through the application process again.

Especially if you apply to the states, you'll be spending thousands of dollars for the application fees and the transportation/accomodation for interviews and countless hours going to the interviews/blindly waiting for any kind of response/dreaming that you'll get in/obsessing over pre-med forums.

My worst fear is having to apply again next year.

• 1 month later...

is there any way to improve verbal other than doing practice tests? I don't think I have a problem with the time, it's just that half of the time I don't really understand the passage. Should I spend more time on reading and understanding the details or is it better to grasp the main idea of the passage?

Archived