Premed 101 Forums

Additional med school seats

Guest bubbagump

Guest bubbagump

I'm not sure if the Ontario government has made any decisions yet, but since they mentioned this in the budget I'll ask just in case someone is in the know. Does anyone have any information on extra seats being added this year for Ontario med schools? Specifically, I'm wondering which schools will add seats, how many seats, and when this is likely to happen.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Guest therealcrackers

Western went from 118 to 133, I think Mac went up 10, Queen's went up a few. In terms of EXTRA additional seats from the budget that was presented last week... I don't think so...

Guest JSS02

Queen's added 10, Ottawa added 12, and U of T did nothing. But this was before the budget. Did they specifically mention that there would be even more seats added this year? I just remember something along the lines of 160 (?) new seats by 2006. I don't know if that includes those coming from the new Northern Medical School.

Guest aneliz

As crackers mentioned, most med schools in Ontario are already increasing their seats over last year. However, these increases were announced months ago (prior to the new budget). As a result, the 'new' seats are likely already filled (or close to filled) as the schools sent out more acceptances than last year in the first round. I also highly doubt that the size of the first year classes will increase again before Sept - but anything is possible right?

Guest bubbagump

Thanks for your responses. My understanding from what I have heard is that Mac has planned on increasing its seats by 10 for a number of months, but is still waiting for a confirmation of funding. They only sent out 128 offers initially (same as last year), and I have yet to hear if they have the governments money to bump it up. But it's good to know other schools did increase numbers.

Let me know if anyone can confirm Mac adding the 10 seats.

Guest sydney

Hey bubba...

I have heard from an "inside" source that mac is to have an additional 12 seats, for a class total of 140. 140 is the number the class of 2005 is planning for. I hear you, I'm waiting patiently too!

Regards

Guest Asystole

Just an additional fact because it was mentioned about the new med school. It is my understanding (from the classified ad when they were trying to find a Dean) that the school will start at ~50 people. So there will still be lots of seats over and above this at the other schools between now and 2006.

Guest bubbagump

Thanks sydney and asystole. I'm glad to hear the optimism.

The only additional info I can contribute is that I've been told that over the last two years the additional Ontario spots have not been announced until August. So I guess some of us may have to hold our breaths all summer.

Archived