Premed 101 Forums

Anyone here taking undergrad at York???

Guest Retic2002

Guest Retic2002

Hello I am currently a student at U of T and I am wondering how its like at york. How is the testing like in general?? What about class averages??

Thanks

Guest Retic2002

It seems really competitive at U of T. The material is not so bad, its understandable but the way they make the test is just crazy. The class average for most of the science courses are about mid 60. In order to get into the science program at U of T , a mid 80 average high school average is the min. (that is what they say), so basically everyone is "extremely" hard working and pretty bright. The result are extremely hard test to fix the average at mid 60. So many top high school students get "weeded" out and their goal of attending med. school ends.

I was just curious to see how other schools are like based on testing etc. The reason why I asked about York was because its close by and would prefer to live at home instead of a dorm room. I honestly dont think I belong at U of T. I am just an average (first year) student here and its not gonna cut it! Would it be a wise decision to transfer??

Thanks for reading my post

Guest Marshan

Hello there:

I dont think any school is going to seem easy or even relatively easier. I am a UofT student but I took summer science courses at York and Mac. I found that both schools were on par in terms of difficulty with UofT with similar class averages. Its University man! it a killer no matter where you go!

Marshan

Guest Lawgirl79

I did my BSc at York, and our first year bio class average was a D--and that was after the drop date. These programs are tough wherever you go; there is no 'easy' way out.

Guest Banana

Hello, I just finished 2nd year psych honours (arts) at York. I've only taken biology,chemistry and Calculus in the sciences and I think the class averages were on par with U of T. Actually mid 60's is the average for all my classes so I think that's pretty standard with a few exceptions here and there. I'm getting A's in my classes but that is because I study a lot. I was accepted to U of T as well but chose York for no particular reason actually, but I love York. I have had great prof's and I like the facilities and opportunities I've had here. I don't know if it would make a difference to transfer because I'm not in the sciences but sometimes a change can be just what you need. Good luck in any case.

Guest sup g

Im in 4th year. I think bio chem at york is just as difficult as anywhere. I think some people may find york better because thre are alot of help avalible for people to do better. Averages for some classes I took were from D+ to B. Its university so its all the same.

Guest Retic2002

I understand that almost every school is difficult in terms of material. But what about the testing? (where it counts). Maybe its just me but most of the test here in first year do not seem all that fair. Some will agree with me and some wont! How is it like in terms of test there?? Is it fair, like if you study "HARD" does it usually equal success?? In high school I know of many students who did little or no studying and they ended up making York ( no offence) and I guess they are gonna make it to second year with a relatively ok mark. Many students who make York (again NOT ALL) study rarely little compared to the majority at U of T or schools who require top high school marks to get in so they end up balancing out the class average. See where I am getting at?

thanks

Hi there --

I transferred from U of T to York. I agree with what's been said so far with respect to difficulty levels - courses at York are just as hard to get high marks in. We also get killed on the OMSAS grading scale, because an A at York (80-89%) is only a 3.8, and it can be VERY difficult to get an A+ in a course.

I want to address the issue of "brighter" students at U of T meaning lower marks. It can't be debated that the incoming average of U of T students is higher than York students - it IS higher. However, this doesn't (necessarily) translate into higher marks for two reasons:

First, because averages are lower at York. D's are normal. When I was at U of T, some of my courses had B and B- averages! At York, if a class has many crummy students, the class average will usually reflect that. Marks are rarely "curved" and there is no expectation that they be at a particular average.

Second, there are just as many "really good" students at York as at U of T (relative to the size of the programs), although there also may be more "really bad" students. As a result, the few A+'s in a course remain elusively difficult to get.

Ok, does this mean I wish I had stayed at U of T? Definitely not. The atmosphere at York is completely different than at U of T. *My* grades have gone up, because I hated the U of T hyper-competitive environment and I'm really happy in the laid-back atmosphere at York.

Also, while York is a large university, Science is a relatively small Faculty - just a few thousand students. As a result, I find that professors here are much friendlier and more accessible. In my first year at U of T, none of my profs knew my name. In my first year at York, almost all did.

It is also easy to find summer research jobs (e.g. MANY first-years do summer research), there is tons of tutorial help available (real tutorials, not "quiz time" tutorials), and in general, it feels like people want to go out of their way to help you.

I really don't mean to be negative about U of T - lots of people DON'T find the atmosphere too competitive. Lots of people who would HATE York thrive at U of T. But if you don't like the competition, or feel intimidated in the atmosphere at U of T, you'll notice the difference at York right away.

That's my experience - hope it helps. And if there are high-schoolers out there reading this, thinking about what University to attend next year, I encourage you to think about York and post if you have any questions. It is a great school.

Guest Retic2002

thanks for the reply now I have a general idea of it

York: what year are you in right now?? What was the reason why you switched out of U of T??

Retic2002: I left U of T primarily because the atmosphere there didn't work for me - It felt cold, and I felt intimidated. There were other reasons too - if you want to talk more about this, post your email address and I'll be happy to respond!

Guest Yorkus

Hi

I switched to York after my second yr as I really couldnt take to the environment at UofT. Lots of attitude, and cold.....and thats just the profs. You dont really hear of people ripping things out of journals and changing answer keys to screw other students at York. This stuff seemed to be commonplace at UofT.

Im sure alot of people have seen the elitist T-shirts UofT sells at the UofT bookstore : "Friends dont let friends go to York!" or "Friends dont let friends go to Guelph". But I think both those schools have a lot to offer, and UofT just likes to flex its snobbery muscles whenever it can.

As for grades I got A's and B+'s at UofT and am getting the same at York :)

Good luck on your decision for University

Archived