Premed 101 Forums

Queens Question #3

Hi,

Question 3 says expand on ONE area described in the sketch. I play and coach sports, and put these on different areas in the sketch. Can I put both playing and coaching in this answer since they both involve the same thing? Or do I have to choose one because it says one area? Does the word area imply item or can it imply set of items surrounding the same topic?

if the activity is related, i think it's fine: ie you've played baseball for 10 years with different teams/clubs so you can write about baseball in general. But if you've fed death row inmates their final meal for 3 years and were part of a rowing team for 2 years, I don't think you could legitimately use these two to answer the one question without potentially violating their "ONE area" requirement. email is your best friend... (though i've found Queen's to be less receptive than other schools... but i'm basing this on one mass email i sent to 4 schools)

Guest canucker

I called the Admissions office and asked them about this question. Basically they said that the question is worded so as to give the applicant some latitude when answering. You can interpret "area" to mean one specific activity or one category in the ABS (volunteering, employment, etc.) as long as you're clear about it in your answer and you will not be penalized. Personally, I'm going with the latter just because it's easier to answer the question. The important thing is to define what you interpret "area" to mean in your answer.

what do they mean by the first line, explaining your choice as it realtes to field of medicine, ...i dont see the connection btw the two questions...

I think it refers to your choice of the area decribed in the sketch. So basically explain why you chose the area and how it relates to medicine. Hope it makes sense :)

i still dont get it puggy...i chose volunteering and how do i explain its relation to field of medicine?

Volunteering is service. Essentially the being a doctor is doing a service for other human beings. It shows that you care and doctors should be caring people.

Volunteering usually means your work with people. (Most) doctors must have good people skills.

You may have volunteered in a group. This would have required teamwork skills which is important for doctors to have.

Also it requires your time outside of school and or work. Doctors are busy people and must manage time effectively.

This is the most I can think of without knowing what your volunteer experiences.

Archived