Premed 101 Forums

Transcripts

Has anyone ever had a problem with one of their transcrips possibly not getting to omsas by the deadline. I requested a transcript from one of my colleges a bit ago and realized that it hasn't been sent and that it will be sent my mail. It is going out today and probably wont get to OMSAS on Monday. Has anyone had any similar problems in the past? Will this invalidate my application??? I hope not.

X-ray girl

probably not.

for ontario universities, omsas orders the transcript from the schools itself - you dont have to send one. and i'm assuming they only do that AFTER you've submitted your application since some applicants can change their mind about applying and not submit at all. so the last minute applicants from an ontario university probably dont have their transcript submitted by the deadline either.

I actually have the same problem. OMSAS doesn't request transcripts if you use the TRF unless and until you submit your application AND pay your fees. Fees can take 2 days to get processed, then 3 days later the transcripts would probably be mailed out... so unless you submit early, the TRF is pretty bad. It seems safer to just mail it directly from your post-secondary institution.

And you do have to get your transcripts in by October 1st ("strict deadline" according to OMSAS).

I've sent an e-mail to OMSAS to ask about what happens if a transcript does not arrive in time. Meanwhile, from what I have read, late transcripts do not invalidate your application - but you may have to contact the med schools to make arrangements for your transcript to be accepted. Hopefully OMSAS will just forward the transcripts even if they are late. Either way, anything is better than an invalidation.

If "strict deadline" does really mean "your application gets invalidated", then I guess I'll be looking at international medschools instead.

Hey, this is from http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/b_omsas_e.pdf

(page 9)

Receipt of the TRF by

October 1, 2007 satisfies the transcript deadline requirement....

...Transcripts from Ontario universities ordered through OMSAS

via the Transcript Request Form (TRF) will be accepted if the

TRF is received at OMSAS by the October 1, 2007 deadline.

Applicants who have attended or who are currently enrolled in

an Ontario university must use the TRF. All other required

transcripts and registrar statements must be submitted directly

to OMSAS by the postsecondary institutions attended.

Well, you can definitely argue with them if they deny you because it says right in that paragraph:

Transcripts from Ontario universities ordered through OMSAS

via the Transcript Request Form (TRF) will be accepted if the

TRF is received at OMSAS by the October 1, 2007 deadline.

This means that the FORM has to be there by October 1st, not the transcript itself. There are other sections where they contradict this statement. I'll see what OMSAS says when they reply to my e-mail.

It's not the end of the world - I don't think they would throw out your application for a transcript.

I know...I read that document a while ago and decided that everything would be fine but I started freaking out when I saw transcript related threads. Especially since my school takes 2-3 days to process transcript requests, absolutely no exceptions, and of course it's too late now to request it.

I am having what they call a flight of ideas in psychology...grandiose schemes of invading the transcript office and begging them till they print my transcript which shall be picked up by same-day delivery courier, etc

I don't think they accept faxes - the transcripts need have the school's seal and stamp on them I believe. Your best bet is to probably discuss this with OMSAS and probably send out transcripts to the individual schools that you applied to.

PS: I received an e-mail back from OMSAS today confirming that if you request the transcripts via the TRF by the due date on October 1st, then they will accept the transcripts.

Archived