Premed 101 Forums

Does this mean no letters of references are required?

Guest F71

I noticed that the OMSAS requires confidential assements forms, but no where it says that we need letters of reference...Is this true? So all they have to judge from us is grades/mcat, essay, and a standartized form?

Guest applicant

confidential assessment forms = ref letters

Your referees need to check off appropriate boxes & also provide some comments at the end.

Does anyone have the links to the confidential assement forms, or perhaps have them saved as a file? Im really interested to see what they look like thanks

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

The Compass program should be up and running within the next month to month and a half on the OMSAS site. Once you create your account, you'll be able to print the confidential assessment forms then. Unfortunately, there really isn't a way to actually see the forms until then, unless I'm missing something...

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest PeterHill0501

If anybody would like to see the reference letter form from OMSAS from U of O please post your fax number (preferable) or email me (click on my logon name to get my e-mail address) and provide your e-mail address and I will forward to you. Alternately, I can post it here...actually...I'll do that...it will be simpler...

Peter

Guest PeterHill0501

Here's the form I had to send to my references to fill out and return directly to OMSAS...the format is not the same as is printed out but the content is identical...I'm not sure if this one is specific to U of O or not:

Confidential Assessment Form

Return to: OMSAS

Ontario Universities' Apploication Centre

170 Research Lane

Guelph ON N1G 5E2 Canada

Referee

[referees name and address]

Candidate

[candidates name and address]

To the referee:

1. Please type or print legibly in black. Use one additional page if necessary.

2. Check each item at the point on the scae which best indicates your rating of the candidate as compared to his/her peers.

3. Please forward this assessment directly to OMSAS by October 15, 2001.

4. OMSAS will acknowledge receipt of this form.

5. Please do not issue this form to the candidate.

-----------------------------------------------------

Check Appropriate Rating (following items marked on a 6 point scale including: Excellent, Good, Average, Fair, Poor, Unknown)

------------------------------------------------------

Intellectual capacity

Initiative

Capacity for leadership

Maturity

Cooperation

Integrity

Ability to detect and solve problems

Fluency in English spoken

Fluency in English written

Ability to communicate

Emotional Stability

Ability to relate to others

Ability for self-directed learning

Tolerance of others

-----------------------------------------------------------

Overall rating

-----------------------------------------------------------

Is the candidate the type of person who would make a good physician? (yes/no)

If no, explain:_________________________________________

I have known the candidate for ____ year(s) in my capacity as ___________________.

How well do you know the candidate? ___________________________________________________

Give your perception of the candidate with respect to the following: motivation and desire to enter medicine; ability to relate to people in a compassionate and caring manner; moral and ethical development; and stengths and weaknesses.

[space for response]

Referree's Signature ____________ Phone (___) ___-_____ Date: ___________

I hope this helps...

Peter

Thanks Pete, that really helped!

Question - if they ask you to "check off" excellent, very good, etc....wouldnt it be a bit odd/unethical (although Im sure MANY people are capable of doing this) to get your prof to just check off excellent for everthing?

In your opinion, would it be a good idea for a prof/referee to put SOME criticism at all, or should it just be 100% perfect?

thanks!

Guest snazzy8

This is just what I have heard, it may or may not be true but some people I know who were told this and then changed their references and subsequently got in swear by it. I was advised that since the schools have to deal with so many applications each year and they must weed the numbers down to a tolerable amount to interview you don't want to give them a reason to eliminate you. So even though your reference may be well intentioned in putting in some critiscm, beleiving that it make the letter more legitimate and thought out, it may instead simply provide a justifiable reason to leave you behind. A good reference may not help you much but a bad reference could get you the boot.

Guest UWOMED2005

That's why some of the schools don't put too much consideration into the reference letters - for some schools they're just a 'flag,' as people are unlikely to go to someone who is going to give them a bad reference letter, and how supervisors use the reference letters can vary a great deal.

Archived