Premed 101 Forums

Some questions: residency, international students

Hi, how does MUN compare to other Canadian schools in terms of education quality, and matching to residencies, particularly to the US?

I understand that MUN accepts some international students, although the number is extremely small, due to the small class size. I understand there are American and some Malaysian students that are in your classes? How are they fitting in with the locals and are they enjoying their time at MUN and st john's?

The international students seem to fit in well and enjoy themselves. MUN is in regular urban Canada, so it's not much different then any other location.

The education quality at MUN is excellent (like every Canadian med school). MUN has a heavy clinical focus, as well as tries to integrate both rural and urban practice into all teaching. It's more lecture based (compared to say McMaster which is strongly PBL based). It's a personal choice as to what you prefer.

As for some hard numbers, MUN was top last year in part II of the Canadian licensing, and has consistently placed in the top 6 for quite a few years now. The match rates are very good for inside of Canada (you can check CARMS), but then again, the match rates are good for all Canadian Med schools. I'm not sure on US data, you'd have to look it up.

Thanks for the quick reply! I am quite unfamiliar with Newfoundland so forgive me for my ignorance.

How are the living costs like in St John's? Where do the MUN med students usually stay.

How does MUN med compare to Dalhousie and U of Calgary? I understand the standard is pretty much equal across Canada?

I lived in St.John's for a year when I was 6 and I loved it! I really wouldn't mind going back to St.Johns but MUN doesn't like out of province students and wouldn't offer any seats to OOPs. :mad:

I liked St.John's a lot though. The environment is clean an the people are much nicer. I really liked the harbour and the icebergs - wish I can go back there for my studies.

There are 8 seats available to OOP students. The seats avaliable are as follows:

40 NL (may be 46 provincial next year, the prov. just increased funding)

10 NB

2 PEI

8 OOP/International

http://www.med.mun.ca/admissions/pages/faq.asp

The cost of living in St. John's is very low compared to most other cities that have med schools. Students usually stay in apartments off campus. Most have cars (the public transit system is terrible, and it's hell to walk in the winter).

MUN performs well on licensing tests every year. All Canadian school provide a high level of education and training. They all have to meet the same strict accreditation guidelines. You're right when you say it's pretty uniform across the country. The biggest thing to worry about when selecting between schools is teaching styles. Do you want more lectures, or more PBL.

Archived