Premed 101 Forums

Big Question....

lll

Before you apply to Carrib, you should think carefully about the path you're heading and the potential consequence and limitations it might entail in the future. I'm sure it's possible to be rejected, but the standards of matriculation are a lot lower.

Also, keep in mind Carrib schools are "doctor factories" that prepare you for the Step 1 and that's about it. The support programs and services you might expect at US or Canadian schools I hear is absent, so it's a real sink-or-swim environment. Consequently, attrition rates are much higher.

Also, coming back to Canada, you'll be an IMG, which closes doors and makes others potentially far more difficult.

word, hopefully i'll see you this weekend

As for the Carrib schools, they definitely do more than prep students for USMLE step 1s....but anyone considering them should do a lot of research. It's your future afterall.

I agree and it should be obvious research needs to be done for anyone considering applying to the carribean. Forums may be a good start for a source of information, but at the same time there's a lot of hearsay.

I haven't researched a lot yet, due to the possibility of studying in North America first, but you might want to consider the different Carribean Schools you apply to (SGU, AUC, ROSS etc.). Some allow you to do you clerkship in the states at accredited hospitals, some don't, some open doors to specialties, other don't...etc.

Obviously, these are broad statements that I don't neccessarily have the references for, but again just do your research as Kenneth said. G'luck everyone.

Archived