Premed 101 Forums

MCAT importance

I am an in province student with a 90+ average cumulative (4 years).I am graduating this winter semester.

I wrote the the MCAT on September 08, 2007 and just got back my scores.

I received a 28Q: 11 PS 6 VS 11BS :eek: , writing sample Q.

I guess I had a system failure when writing the verbal.

Should I still apply to USask medical school?

How importantly is the MCAT weighted?

Thanks.

At the U of S, the MCAT is essentially pass/fail. They set the minimum requirements...if you score higher, you get the flag and can carry on. Your overall weighted admission average is not affected by your MCAT, but you must meet the requirements.

From the UofS Medicine website: http://www.medicine.usask.ca/admissions/admissions-information/copy_of_academic-requirements/

"All applicants are required to write the MCAT prior to the application deadline and meet minimum scores of 8 in the sciences and verbal reasoning sections, and N in writing skills; however, either one 7 or an M will be accepted. Scores must be available by the application deadline. The best MCAT scores obtained at any one sitting in the last five years will be used (earliest acceptable scores to apply for admission in 2008, will be April 2003). The maximum number of times an applicant may take the MCAT is 5 times (additional sittings will not be accepted unless approved in writing by the Admissions Office, College of Medicine)."

So, unfortunately, it looks like the 6 in VS will knock you out for this year. Perhaps you may wish to write it again, as long as you are currently <5 times in writing it.

Sorry! It looks like you did very well on the other areas. At least now you know where your weak points are.

Kenola

You know, I would still try to apply for the College of Medicine here at the UofS and perhaps explain your situation to the admissions committee. Maybe there was a reason why you didn't perform to what you expected on VS that perhaps needed some explanation? During my VR section, a baby started crying 1/3 of the way in (long story as to why there was a baby there) so I made sure all the med schools I was applying to knew about that (I had a letter from the AAMC confirming that there indeed was a baby who was crying).

It certainly doesn't hurt to try to apply!

ya you might as well apply since your academic average is great as an IP.

I am not sure about how UofS uses MCAT. I think it would just raise some flags. Apply this year, see how it goes. If MCAT is the problem, re-write it for next year to be eligible for other schools as well.

In the meantime, practice VR.

Archived