Premed 101 Forums

Supplementary Sheet?

Hi Jewels, someone on this forum had suggested to me that I copy the pdf image (ie. the whole page) into a powerpoint and then add text boxes to include typed answers. This is what I ended up doing & it worked out fine for me. The final product looked decent (although I did yell at the computer quite a bit in the process since I can't seem to get things looking alright on the first try in Powerpoint... then again, yelling at inanimate objects is kind of fun once in a while... ha ha ha...).

Good luck ;)

Are we supposed to be able to type into the PDF file? I can't, and it won't copy into Word very well either, so I'm not sure how to enter my responses.

I downloaded the trial version of Adobe Writer. Thus, I can type directly into the PDF file.

Elaine

Are we supposed to be able to type into the PDF file? I can't, and it won't copy into Word very well either, so I'm not sure how to enter my responses.

i filled out the supplementary form by hand...didn't seem to hurt my application!

i know some people that typed out answers in word, copy and pasted it onto a printout of the supplementary form, and then photocopied all that to make it look like it was typed.

would it be a good idea to squeeze in some descriptions for the personal activities (question 1)? I know there isn't a column for that, but there's a little bit of space after the "time period", and so I'm wondering if it's better to say a bit more abt the things i listed as some are not entirely clear by the title alone...

• 2 weeks later...

Elaine, where did you find the trial version of Adobe writer? I've even been on their website and they don't seem to offer it anymore...

Also, does anyone know if these forms need to be RECEIVED by october 31, or postmarked?

And does "typing" include using a TYPEWRITER on the forms? I think that's my best bet at this point...

For the references: I just gave a name and phone number (sometimes it was appropriate to put a title, e.g. Dr.)

Also, I was wondering if anyone put 1 activity in more than one location on the supplemental sheet. Specifically, if you held a job that was medically related, I see that it must go under the medically related experience category (2.) But should it also be listed under the paying jobs section (4.). It seems silly to list things twice (and a waste of paper), obviously they will read the item under section 2, I just wanted to know if anyone put these items under both sections?

Thanks.

Hi there,

I did write the same thing twice. It does seem like a waste of space, and I felt a little funny doing it, but at the same time the job I had clearly fit under both headings. The format was different than last year so this issue didnt come up last time I applied..

Elaine, where did you find the trial version of Adobe writer? I've even been on their website and they don't seem to offer it anymore...

Also, does anyone know if these forms need to be RECEIVED by october 31, or postmarked?

And does "typing" include using a TYPEWRITER on the forms? I think that's my best bet at this point...

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/solutions/detail/edit_pdf.html

Hopefully that will help.

I'm new to this whole thing. I looked at the forms and I was wondering, when I do get around to doing it next year, how much to include.

i.e. should I list every team I have coached or just say that the coaching has been continuous since such-and-such a date (it has).

Also I was wondering how far people went back. I am in my third year of an undergrad. So I should include anything in the last 4 years when I apply next year i guess?

Thanks a lot

I'm new to this whole thing. I looked at the forms and I was wondering, when I do get around to doing it next year, how much to include.

i.e. should I list every team I have coached or just say that the coaching has been continuous since such-and-such a date (it has).

Also I was wondering how far people went back. I am in my third year of an undergrad. So I should include anything in the last 4 years when I apply next year i guess?

Thanks a lot

Dal likes to see recent/current stuff. Only include activities/awards from high school if you feel they are significant. For coaching - maybe you can put it as one "on-going" activity under employment/EC etc. and put the the teams/diff sports in brackets?

Applicants on this board can give you exampls of what they included, how far back they went, but you have to judge for yourself what you think is important to include. Whatever you think the admissions committee needs to know about you in order for them to get an idea of who you are. I know that's kind of vague but it really is a judgement call.

Elaine, where did you find the trial version of Adobe writer?

drdave beat me to posting the link, so you should have the trial version of Adobe Writer by now. In the end, I didn't end up using this software to complete my application. Instead, I saved each of the three pages of the application as a JPEG file, and pasted them in MS Word as pictures. I then added text boxes, where I typed each of my answers. I found this system more convenient, as I had more flexibility formatting in Word than Adobe.

Elaine

drdave beat me to posting the link, so you should have the trial version of Adobe Writer by now. In the end, I didn't end up using this software to complete my application. Instead, I saved each of the three pages of the application as a JPEG file, and pasted them in MS Word as pictures. I then added text boxes, where I typed each of my answers. I found this system more convenient, as I had more flexibility formatting in Word than Adobe.

Elaine

To put it lightly - Adobe was lame. I ended up just copy-pasting everything into Word. After formating some of the margins etc. it was basically the same thing!

Archived