Premed 101 Forums

Wayne State

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hey guys,

I got an offer from WSU today! Super excited, abeit I'd rather stay in Canada.

To let you know my stats:

AMCAS GPA: 3.77

MCAT: 33Q

additional generic premed comment!

(I had that joke going before FG did it)

Anywayz sprite guy nice work!! best of luck on ur interview..when is it btw?

LoL.

well i was only in detroit for about half a day... The downtown is nice and clean. Safe. The school is a 20 min walk from downtown. THere are a lot of abandoned bldgs. The neighbourhood around the school is... semi-shady.

A pro is that its basically across the river from Canada so if i want to load up on the free health insurance, its easy :P hah hah...

Have you reflected on Detroit yet?:P

Congrats! :o

• 1 month later...

So I just received an interview at Wayne for the end of this month. Thanks to snail mail and absolutely NO email forewarning/informing me...it took the invite more than a month to get to me. great.

Anyway, for people who have interviewed there...any advices??? :confused:

Hey

I interviewed there in early November. Its nice and people were friendly. Be prepared to answer all standard medical interview questions like Tell me about yourself and other beauties.

Its cold in Detroit so dress accordingly. Call to make sure that you are actually planned for the day they told you to come, because for some reason you need to tell them that that day is ok with you, but they don' t tell you in their letter that you need to get back to them.

Other than that, you should be fine!

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
My interview is at 11am and I think the tour is from noon onwards?

I was just wondering... do I have enough time if I book a flight that departs at 5:00pm that day?

I emailed them to ask the same thing. They said you will be out by 1:30 latest and it's 45 mins to the airport... So you should be fine.

I booked a flight at 5:23

• 1 month later...

YAAAY!

This is awesome news. I've decided to go to Wayne if UBC doesn't accept me, but I want to come back to Canada to do residency.

a LEAST 34? There is no way that's true, and if it is, I want to meet the guys with a 34 mcat that decided to go to wayne. Yale's average is 34ish for Pete's sakes. And wayne is known to be canadian friendly (we are OOS). Since the applicant mean mcat was around a 31, and the class has a mean mcat of <30 but >29, i think don't think you should dismiss your 30 right away. Yes mcat is emphasized, but that doesn't mean your gpa has no or even little value in the application process.

BTw, A previous poster talked about Wayne state, and how it is actually known to be a good clinical school. The wayne grad matched into his first choice at UT IM without having done an elective there, and happened to pull in residency interviews from all the top schools. Since he seemed pretty unhappy about how Wayne is bashed around in these forums, he might be happy to show you that its not such a bad school..i think the alias is bear1056

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22488&highlight=seeking

• 2 weeks later...

YAAAY!

This is awesome news. I've decided to go to Wayne if UBC doesn't accept me, but I want to come back to Canada to do residency.

If I were you, I wouldn't leave if you intend to come back to Canada. Its really hard to come back and you will get only the leftover residencies, if you manage to get one. Keep in mind that in 4 years, there will be too many Canadian grads for the number of residencies if nothing is done.

Also, my mentor (who tried doing the same thing) said it was really hard to pass the Canadian licensing exams if you go to the US because studying for that exam is not like for the USMLE: you can't just buy the books and study them apparently.

I don't know your exact situation, but if you were fortuante enough to get an interview at UBC and you don't get in this year, maybe try again next year before going to US route.

YAAAY!

If I were you, I wouldn't leave if you intend to come back to Canada. Its really hard to come back and you will get only the leftover residencies, if you manage to get one. Keep in mind that in 4 years, there will be too many Canadian grads for the number of residencies if nothing is done.

Also, my mentor (who tried doing the same thing) said it was really hard to pass the Canadian licensing exams if you go to the US because studying for that exam is not like for the USMLE: you can't just buy the books and study them apparently.

I don't know your exact situation, but if you were fortuante enough to get an interview at UBC and you don't get in this year, maybe try again next year before going to US route.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say returning back to Canada after medical school in the US is impossible. If grads from Carrib/Ireland/Australia can do it, then I'm betting a Canadian citizen, graduating from a US school (that also happens to be LCME certified) can do it as well.

In the Wayne thread, a grad there matched into IM at UT. And as US grads, we are considered in the first round, not in parallel/second matches that FMGs must deal with. Plus, I would say you have a pretty good headstart on matching in the US (and scoring well on the USMLEs), something a lot of Canadian students are considering in light of the shortage in residency funding.

Archived