Premed 101 Forums

Question about Verifiers for Autobio Sketch

Guest CommerceStudent

Guest CommerceStudent

I'm a little confused about the requirements for verifiers in the autobio sketch. If you're not applying for U of T or NOMS, do you even have to put any verifiers down for the activities? If you do, are you just supposed to list the contacts in the verifier section? Do you have to reference them somehow? Thanks very much!

Guest avisee

I think you need to list verifiers for every activity you mention in your essay responses, for Mac or Queen's. You can reference it by referring to the number your verifier is listed as on the verifiers list.

For instance, you can talk about your experience at the Local General Hospital (5), or the Meaningful Award you won (2).

Guest CommerceStudent

Thanks avisee - so if I'm applying for Mac, then for the 48 item list I don't have to list anything for the verifiers?

Guest avisee

If you mention any of your activities in your 5 responses, then you would have to list verifiers. I know it's probably hard to give concrete evidence in such little space, but it will probably help your responses if you list at least one example of something you have done that applies to each response, so theoretically, you may still need a few verifiers for those activities you explicitly mention. But yes, if you don't mention any activities in your 5 responses, then you wouldn't need any verifiers.

Guest CTU24
If you're not applying for U of T or NOMS, do you even have to put any verifiers down for the activities?

That is correct. These are the only Ontario schools that require verifiers in your 48 item sketch (and their respective essays). So, if you are not applying to either of these schools, than you only need to include verifiers when you mention specific activities in your essays for Mac and/or Queens as Avisee mentioned.

CTU24

Guest seonagh

What kinds of people can you use for verifiers. For me I think it would be impossible to not use mostly family and friends. A lot of my activities are not organized. I am a not trad applicant (30+ yrs old). A lot of what makes me, me is the time I spend in the garden, working on photography, hiking with my dog and husband or other activities with friends and family. Of course I have some volunteer items as well and involvement in community theatre and teaching ESL in Japan etc that can be verified by people outside my immediate friends and family but .... it all seems so unofficial when I consider the majority of what I like to do it spend time with the ones I love.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to get this in there, I don't want my application to not be representative of me by leaving out things.

Seonagh

Guest coastal79

For my travel and the hobbies I participated in in an unorganized fashion I simply used my girlfriend as a verifier. For things before she came into the picture, I used my parents. Examples included community rec soccer (as an adult, not the competitive stuff from my teen years for which I had a "proper" verifier), scuba-diving and hiking. It didn't seem to cause me any problems.

Guest coastal79

Nope. I don't think that every verifier is contacted, maybe one or two just to prevent people from BSing too much, or, if something listed seems sketchy.

Archived