Premed 101 Forums

average boosters

I have said this a number of times over the years. Marks booster classes= something you are interested in. What is easy for one person is impossible for another. I know extremely brilliant people that I graduated med school with that did poorly in psych 110 and med term. Why, because they couldn't care less about the class, rather they took it to boost thier average. (oooops)

It doesn't really matter what you take before you get into med school. Just take something you enjoy. Taking an anatomy class to help you for a few weeks in the beginning of first year med really doesn't make a difference in the grand scheme of things. Trust me a few years later all that minute detail you learned will be gone regardless of how brilliant you are. Everything you really need to know in med school will be repeated over and over and over again so that you don't forget it.

So bottom line: take something that interests you (if it is fine arts take it, if it is calculus take it, if it is geology go for it) don't just take a class just to boost your mark. If you aren't interested in it is hard to motivate yourself to study and do well and it will backfire horribly. If you are truely interested in it then studying becomes easy. Trust me I know from experience. I took a few courses in second year to "boost my marks" and to give me an edge in med school and it was horrible trying to study for those classes and I ended up with a worse mark than a few harder courses I took out of interest.

BTW if you are interested in taking something that doesn't even closely relate to med school take it now. Because once you get in your life will become so immersed in medicine that you sometimes forget there is any other subject out there.

Good luck

• 3 months later...

psych 110 definitely was. had a friend who actually took a music class where the tests were online and done at home, clearly was a mark booster. Unfortunately mark boosting classes are key, even if its a class that you dont have particular interest in, because it will help in getting you into a program what you are really interested in.

Archived