Premed 101 Forums

Autobiographical Sketch - Items to Include

Guest Elaine I

Guest Elaine I

I am finalizing my autobiographical sketch. Since I have 55 items, I have to cut 7. I'm wondering if I can leave out some of my formal education, since that is listed in the other section. That is, do I need to include high school? What about the two universities where I just took summer courses? How about the two universities I attended for a year or 2 years, but didn't graduate for? Are these all necessary entries?

I don't have a lot of awards to list, so I had originally listed my university entrance scholarships. Do I need to include those? What about scholarships from universities that I didn't choose to attend (which were larger than the maximum I could earn in the program I did attend)?

If I should include university entrance scholarships, would it be appropriate to list the university's registrar's office as the verifier? Or, should I use the awards office? Or, could I use my high school guidance counselor? What about a friend/mentor who is aware of these things? (I'm guessing not on that one, but thought it was worth asking!)

Thanks for your help,

Elaine

Personally, it didn't even occur to me to include awards that I didn't accept (in terms of Uni entrance scholarships). Either the registrar's office or the student awards office would be appropriate verifiers I'm sure. If contacted, either one should have access to that information. I wouldn't use your high school guidance counsellor for that stuff. I'm not sure whether you need to include all of the schools you took courses at though. Perhaps someone else can answer that question. Good luck cutting stuff out!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Elaine,

I think I'd cut the high school entries in lieu of the awards, etc., that you've received more recently. We can chat about this more on Friday if you like. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest blinknoodle

My friend cut out ALL of his formal education save his degree-granting university.

Personally, I kept in my high school because I was in a different stream which I wanted to highlight. I would have no problems cutting out summer school universities and the like.

-bn

Guest peachy

I don't think there's any incorrect way of doing it, you just want to pick whatever entries highlight your achievments best! Personally, I'd leave out awards that weren't accepted unless they were noticably prestigious, because I'd worry that it would look like padding. I also tried as much as possible to leave out anything from high school, unless it was particularly relevant or I felt that it filled in a gap in the rest of the sketch. But those are all personal decisions about how I wanted to present myself using my sketch; your decisions will likely be different. :)

I used the registrar's office as a verifier for anything that was on my transcript.

[ Also, if you are applying to Ottawa, they may have rules about what must be listed under "formal education" ? I'm not sure about that. ]

Archived