Premed 101 Forums

IB transfer credits

Guest vitegeist

Guest vitegeist

I don't think this has been asked before:

On the OMSAS app, how do I present my IB courses (eg, 7 in English HL) [which I used as transfer credit in University]. There is a note that if transfer credits appear on your university transcript, you have to submit the transcript from the other post-secondary institution at which you obtained those courses. Because my IB classes were done at high school, I'm not sure if I should just treat my highschool (or the IBO?) as if it were a post-sec institution, include the grades under my UBC transcript, or ... ? I can get IBO to send a transcript to OMSAS (my IB grades aren't actually on my highschool transcript), but I don't know how to indicate this online.

Anyone with experience (IB/AP) who can help? Surely someone has done this (successfully) before. Any suggestions (aside from 'call OMSAS') would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Guest Lactic Folly

Yeah, that was my old thread. NB: The following info is from the previous application cycle. Like everyone said, OMSAS does not require you to send IB transcripts (but other universities did want them). For Calgary, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba, I ordered transcripts for $15 each from the IB office in New York.

For OMSAS, here's the email reply I got:

"I am using IB English from high school to fulfill Western's essay requirement - it appears as transfer credit (without a grade) for English 101 on my university transcript. Should I leave this course out of OMSAS? OMSAS doesn't require IB transcripts since they are not postsecondary, is that correct?

----------

This is correct ... and the course should be left off your academic record."

From UWO (below):

"I'm planning to use the transfer credit I received from the U of Alberta for high school IB English to fulfill the essay requirement. The course appears on my university transcript as transfer credit for English 101 without a grade. I have checked with OMSAS and they have said to leave the course off the academic record. I am just wondering if Western requires any additional documentation at this point or at the time of interview, or is this dealt with after offers are sent out?

----------

We will accept IB English so don't worry."

Guest vitegeist

Thank you Lactic, that's exactly what I needed to read! Here is the result of my speedy transaction:

Q:

I completed the International Baccalaureatte Program in highschool, and received a full-year course credit for each of History, English, and Philosophy (all at the first-year level). On my university transcript, these appear as transfer credits (with no grades). I am sure that I could provide a syllabus and/or confirmation from a professor that they were indeed essay courses. I wonder, will any or one of my transfer credits satisfy the non-science/essay requirements for admission into your medical program?

A:

If you receive an offer, you will have to provide proof.

D. McNeil

Manager

Admissions/Student & Equity Affairs

Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry

The University of Western Ontario

Guest blinknoodle

I'm curious.... Do you have to provide proof your IB course had an essay or the "transfer course" that you didn't get a mark for?

-bn

Guest Lactic Folly

Seems to be the case, according to the reply vitegeist got.. but I always thought it would be fairly simple to find an English 101 (or HL English A1)syllabus that describes the amount of essays you do :P

Archived