Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS Sketch - How far back?

Guest Elaine I

Guest Elaine I

How far back should I go on my OMSAS Sketch? The instructions says age 16, but I am wondering if that age is applicable for older applicants?

I will be 27 this summer, and am not sure if I should include items from high school. That seems like so long ago. However, if I am being compared to younger applicants for whom high school activities are more relevant, should I include them?

What did other people who applied later do regarding the sketch?

Thanks for your help.

Elaine

Guest Gill0927

Hi,

This year, when I applied I was 24 (by the date of application). I had the same thought regarding high school activities and how far removed I was from them, time-wise. What I ended up doing was using (as much as possible) all my post-high school activites, and seeing how far into the sketch that got me. I then used some high school stuff, but only things that were either quite prolonged activities (ie volunteer work I did for the entire 5 years of high school), or extremely relevant (volunteering at a hospital), or something that was very important to me and not adequately represented by any other activities (heavy involvement in community theatre that, due to other time commitments, lessened by university).

This seemed to work, and during my interviews when I was asked about the high school items I was confident talking about them, as I put only the most important/prominant items from that time in my life.

Hope this helps,

Gill :D

Guest avisee

I agree with Gill. If you were involved in something during high school that was very significant in your life (eg for a long period of time, or won a prestigious award) then it might be worth adding. It depends on how much space you actually have. But consider it relative to the other items in your list, as well; if an activity represents a side of you not illustrated in your recent formal activities, then it might be worth mentioning (eg, involvement with the school choir or sports teams in high school, if you haven't been involved recently).

I would think the best thing to do would be just to draft a list of every possible thing you COULD enter, every miniscule award or job or volunteer activity since age 16. If you have more than 48, then start looking at whether things you did in high school seem relevant when compared to things you've done recently. If I had the option, I wouldn't shun activities just because I'd done them 10 or more years ago - because they may illustrate that you have been involved in medically-relevant activities for a long time, and this is a mature decision you're making.

Archived