Premed 101 Forums

Acceptance Question

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if this has already been asked before. I have emailed Ottawa U but they have not gotten back to me yet, so I thought I'd post here and ask.

I have already completed and conferred my degree, but I am spending the year

part time finishing up the pre-reqs required for entrance into Ottawa U.

If I am offered acceptance this year, I am wondering if my GPA for these

pre req courses are considered. Do they also have to meet a cut off? Will

passing the courses with a B average discredit my acceptance?

Thanks a lot

Hi Nishi,

yes the prerequs MUST meet the cutoffs. Moreover, the higher the prereqs GPA the better this for you. There is no requirement to have a full course load for prereqs, however, how long it took you to finish them is considered. It should be resonable period of time. Yes, you are right, B grade does not deminish your overall GPA but rather the impression about your will to become a doctor. If you did better when you were FT student, why wouldn't you get a higher mark while studying part-time? That's what I was told.

But remember that this is not the only GPA that is considered, and not the "most importatnt" one, though

:)

So, do not worry to much, just keep it around "A-" - "A"

Good luck!

Hi Nishi,

yes the prerequs MUST meet the cutoffs. Moreover, the higher the prereqs GPA the better this for you. There is no requirement to have a full course load for prereqs, however, how long it took you to finish them is considered. It should be resonable period of time. Yes, you are right, B grade does not deminish your overall GPA but rather the impression about your will to become a doctor. If you did better when you were FT student, why wouldn't you get a higher mark while studying part-time? That's what I was told.

But remember that this is not the only GPA that is considered, and not the "most importatnt" one, though

:)

So, do not worry to much, just keep it around "A-" - "A"

Good luck!

hahaha....

I am confused at the answers you have been getting, Nishi. Maybe things recently changed, or maybe my particular situation was different from everyone else's (although I don't know why it would have been).

Last yr I got an acceptance before I was done the pre-reqs, much like the situation I think you described. The condition was just that I pass them by a certain date, not that they meet any cutoffs. Furthermore, I was under the impression that revoking an admission offer was very unusual & that once they admit you, they are really flexible & will try to keep you...

Obviously, you're better off doing as good as possible for your pre-reqs, not only because that'll be one less thing to learn in med school, but also in case you don't get an acceptance on your first try. However, I didn't think it mattered for this year's admission per say...

Am I way off? Can anyone clarify?

Archived