Premed 101 Forums

Physician Shadowing in Canada

u2doc

I did approach a family friend, but she was very reluctant about it, and like the rest of the people I asked, she didn't seem to understand the concept of this. Can we just randomly ask physicians to shadow? Are there actually programs for this?

• 1 month later...

If you apply as a volunteer in hospitals in areas where there is some interaction as a volunteer with physicians, then as it was alluded previously you might be in a better position to ask the physician for a shadowing opportunity. If not shadowing, I call it mentorship. I personally have done it before with physicians in different fields, which has lead me into different clinical and research venues.

That's just my take,

• 2 weeks later...
I asked my family doctor about this, and she had never heard of it before. I also asked at the hospital I volunteer at, and they had also never heard of it. How does one go about doing this in Canada?:confused:

Oh you can definitely shadow in Canada, the trick is to shadow doctors in academia, as they love to show what their jobs entail to students (all types). My trick, if you are in toronto, go to a department at uoft website eg. surgery, radiology etc. then go to faculty, where you will see a list of docs and their emails, and send them a generic message, to like all of them. I think the ratio is about 25:1, you send emails to 25 docs, one reply from 1. (lots of experience:D)

I've shadowed three physicians about an hour east of Toronto.

1) My family doctor(rural family medicine)- wasn't able to shadow her in the ER, but able in her clinic. Her secretary just notified patients before hand. Many different have a problem with the fact I was present.

2) Nephrologist- similar to above. Met through volunteering in community hospital. I had to sign a confidentiality agreement, that's it.

3) Radiologist- mom's an x-ray tech, so had an in as a result. There wasn't tons of patient interaction, so there was not a problem.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest viscous

this is that aspect of Canadian premedicine where connection comes in handy. I am sure connections also play an important role in other aspects of the other process of getting into medical school in Ontario as very close friends who got in have revealed. Anyways back to the topic....

I am personally working with a doctor who was a 'Muslim' IMG from South Asia and nailed his tests and passed the interviews...I came to know him through a family friend. He certainly wanted to help me as well cuz I am primarily from his country....so you know what I mean....

In any case, its an amazing experience and youll learn a lot, a WAY lot more than what you learn by distributing water to patients in Trillium Hospital (I did that for 1 year).

this is that aspect of Canadian premedicine where connection comes in handy. I am sure connections also play an important role in other aspects of the other process of getting into medical school in Ontario as very close friends who got in have revealed. Anyways back to the topic....

I am personally working with a doctor who was a 'Muslim' IMG from South Asia and nailed his tests and passed the interviews...I came to know him through a family friend. He certainly wanted to help me as well cuz I am primarily from his country....so you know what I mean....

In any case, its an amazing experience and youll learn a lot, a WAY lot more than what you learn by distributing water to patients in Trillium Hospital (I did that for 1 year).

What made you put quotes around the word 'Muslim'?

Care to clarify?

Archived