Premed 101 Forums

Declining all acceptances and staying on a waitlist

Guest windymountain2003

Guest windymountain2003

Hi, I am in a confusing situation...

I am accepted at Queen's and Ottawa but they are my 3rd and 4th choices.

I am accepted at Calgary but it is my 2nd choice.

I am waitlisted at Mac, my first choice.

What do I need to do for OMSAS? I want to decline Queen's and Ottawa but keep my application valid at Mac. I can take an acceptance at Calgary without invalidating my application at Mac, but do I need to send anything to Queen's and Ottawa? Do I still need to send a transcript to OMSAS if I am on a waitlist?

Thanks

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I was told recently by OMSAS that if you are still in consideration for any Ontario medical school at this point then yes, you must send in your transcript request form.

I imagine that both, Queen's and Ottawa would feel that you would be quite gracious if you informed them earlier of you decision not to attend their schools. By doing so, you would open up some spots for other eager candidates who have ranked Queen's and Ottawa a lot higher. However, I'd contact OMSAS to ask how you would go about doing so without inadvertently pulling yourself from the McMaster waitlist. At the moment I don't think there's any formal procedure for selectively pulling yourself from the Ontario school candidate lists.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest aneliz

You need to send a transcript to OMSAS if you are still being considered by Ontario schools....not sure about Mac specifically, but better to be safe....so, get that transcript in! (what's another $8?)

You should be able to decline both Ottawa and Queen's and elect to stay on the Mac waitlist....you should also be able to keep your oop acceptance at the same time. However, should you be offered acceptance to Mac, you will have to make a decision so that you don't hold two acceptances simultaneously...

Archived