Premed 101 Forums

Which schools should I apply to?

hp18

I have Okay GPA (3.83) but poor MCAT (9,10,7VR, S). Good ECs, some research, significant amount of volunteering.

Do I stand any chance in any US Med Schools? I do not want to go for DO.

Re-write the MCAT. I wouldn't bother applying to US schools with that MCAT score.

i agree.

ain't no way you're getting in as an int'l with a 26 MCAT.

...DO would be an option but you already said no.

only spells one thing: REWRITE

chances are that mcat will keep you out of both US and Canadian schools, but if you can manage a 3.8 then surely if you study hard you can manage a 30+

Guest viscous

Should I even bother applying to the US with a >3.7ish cgpa, 32R MCAT and other typical EC's, research, possibly publication etc? I am planning to write MCAT but not soon so I would be applying to the US with a 32R. Do I even stand a chance to get an interview?

Should I even bother applying to the US with a >3.7ish cgpa, 32R MCAT and other typical EC's, research, possibly publication etc? I am planning to write MCAT but not soon so I would be applying to the US with a 32R. Do I even stand a chance to get an interview?

32R is fine. just apply SUPER early (i.e. submit early june). i wouldnt bother applying to only ivy league schools, they like to see 35+ and research so chances there are slim and most of them (if not all) don't do rolling admissions like the other schools so applying earlier wont help you.

hope this helps. feel free to PM if you have more questions.

32R is fine. just apply SUPER early (i.e. submit early june). i wouldnt bother applying to only ivy league schools, they like to see 35+ and research so chances there are slim and most of them (if not all) don't do rolling admissions like the other schools so applying earlier wont help you.

hope this helps. feel free to PM if you have more questions.

I think its still worth it to apply to a few dream schools, but as Madz said, not ONLY ivey leagues! There are a lot of other schools that are fantastic like mt. sinai, NYU, Case, Emory, etc. I believe these schools (dartmouth and mayo included, both VERY VERY competitive and the later being unbelievably competitive) operate on rolling admissions so applying early can help. Check out the list of schools and see average mcats and GPAs. Note that the schools I mentioned are still quite tough to get into, a lot of great applicants have been rejected with stats higher than urs and people have been accepted with stats lower than you, so its not all stats. ECs play a huge role, more than people like to think.

In conclusion:

Apply as early as you can

Apply broadly

When choosing schools, choose most of them reasonably

'The average GPA and MCAT scores of the 2007 entering class are 3.7 and 32P, respectively.' - NYU Medical School

Interesting

As an international you are not expected to have stats higher than those who are residents, but you are not eligible to apply to their MD/PhD program, and you better as heck have the coin that they're looking for cuz you ain't getting any from them, thats the big thing about being a non-resident.

Also, a 3.7 and 32P just means that if you have those stats and u got rejected, then you probably got rejected NOT because of a 3.7 and your 32P.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest viscous

^^ thanks a lot for the clarifications. Someone mentioned that 'applying as early as possible' means June. Is that the deadline for the secondaries to be completed by Canadian students?

^^ thanks a lot for the clarifications. Someone mentioned that 'applying as early as possible' means June. Is that the deadline for the secondaries to be completed by Canadian students?

No, it is the deadline for everyone. However because the US medical schools (or the majority of them) work on a rolling admissions process, applying early is to your advantage as your file is reviewed earlier.

June for primaries. In th past, the earliest you could submit the primary has been around June 1st. The earlier you complete the primary, the earlier you can complete secondary applications. Like someone mentioned, applying earlier is to your advantage because of rolling admissions. It's not like the process in Canada where the schools wait for ALL applications to be in and then pick the strongest applicants.

In the US, applicants are given interviews on a "rolling" basis - as soon as an application is complete, the admissions committee assesses the application for an interview invite or pre-interview rejection (or possibly being put on hold). Generally, interview results are given within a few weeks of the interview (there is no set release date when all applicants find out, as is the case for Ontario med schools). If you apply early, the chances of getting an interview are greater as most (if not all) the seats are available. The later you are in the application cycle, more of the spots have been filled up with applicants that were interviewed (and interviewed well) earlier.

Hope this makes sense and/or helps.

Archived