Premed 101 Forums

New Health Budget

Guest PhantomPhoenix

Guest PhantomPhoenix

Included in the increased funding is 150 new family health teams of doctors.

Where are they planning on getting the doctors for this?

As far as the other promises of shorter wait times etc, I will believe it when I see it.

Guest aneliz

Love to know...its not as if there are any fully qualified 'unemployed' doctors out there just waiting for the Ontario government to provide them with a job... my guess is that they think that they can 'make' them (ie push more med grads into family med or increase IMG family doc numbers) or 'steal' them...ie lure family docs from other provinces...

Guest Steve U of T

I think the government may just encourage currently practising doctors to form these groups, rather than practice alone. I got a letter from my family doctor last week saying he was joining a group practice that would be providing 24 hour availability, which sounds very similar to what the government will be funding. I doubt it's a direct result of the budget, since it came before, but clearly it's possible for established doctors to change their practice to form these groups.

Guest Oren Ishii

that's interesting. Perhaps its purely administrative money they're throwing in to implement or push those initiatives along.

I think I'll visit to the government website.

Archived