Premed 101 Forums

Question about the MMI

DalNeuron

Example of a scenario and accompanying material

You are a family doctor in a small town. One of your patients, a 17-year-old male, makes an appointment to see you. You have been his family doctor for the past 10 years. He is obviously upset when you go in to see him. He tells you that he has just found out that his 16-year-old girlfriend is pregnant. He says that neither he nor his girlfriend knows what to do and that he feels he cannot speak to his parents about this situation. He asks you not to speak to his parents about this.

What would you say?

Probing questions

• How would you reassure him that you will maintain confidentiality?

• Is it reasonable or unreasonable for patients to expect their doctors to advocate on their behalf when the problem is not a medical one?

• Tell us about a time when you had to maintain a confidence that was particularly difficult for you.

• Tell us about a time when you advocated for someone and about what you have learned from it.

Objectives

• To recognise that advocacy and confidentiality is a doctor's role.

• To recognise the issues that doctors may face when problems are not those requiring a typical doctor response, such as ordering tests or treatments.

Background

Doctors typically are called upon to diagnose and treat illnesses and advise on matters of health. Sometimes patient problems are not the type of problem that requires a typical doctor response, such as ordering tests or treatment. This scenario outlines a situation where the doctor response will involve a decision on whether to advocate on behalf of the patient and to respect confidentiality.

The University of Calgary Medical School Student Code of Conduct states:

• I will regard confidentiality as a central obligation of patient care;

• I will limit discussions of patients to members of the health care team in appropriate settings, and

• I will respect the privacy, rights and dignity of patients.

In relation to this role, the statement is made that: ‘As health advocates, doctors responsibly use their expertise and influence to advance the health and well-being of individual patients, communities and populations.’

There are arguments that can be made both for and against the expectation that doctors should advocate on behalf of their patients. Arguments in favour would include assertions that, for example, this is what a patient would expect from a compassionate doctor and failing to do this would lead to loss of public trust in the profession as patients expect their doctors to do what is best for them, regardless of the circumstances.

Arguments against the expectation would include assertions that doctors are too busy dealing with the medical and surgical aspects of their patients' problems to have time to take on advocacy roles. In addition, as doctors are not normally compensated for advocacy work and as doctors have to earn an income, it is unreasonable to expect them to give their time free to advocate on behalf of patients.

Advocacy involves finding out what the patient's view is as to what should be done and may require the patient to be involved in the resolution of the problem rather than the doctor simply coming up with a specific course of action for the patient to follow. Advocacy usually leads to the doctor becoming involved with other parties on behalf of his or her patient. Undertaking such a course of action may put the doctor in situations of conflict of interest with other patients, regional health care authorities, and community and government agencies and lead to future negative longterm relationships with these groups. Advocacy may take considerable time and create stress for the doctor. In addition, as doctors usually do not receive financial compensation for the time they spend on advocacy work, they may suffer a loss of income. Advocating for a patient in some circumstances may be more effective if it is done by other individuals; thus it is important for the doctor to know about community resources that can be called upon to assist in these efforts.

The example above is from:

It is in the appendix section

Medical Education

Volume 41 Issue 6 Page 573-579, June 2007

AuthourL Jean-François Lemay, Jocelyn M Lockyer, V Terri Collin, A Keith W Brownell (2007)

Assessment of non-cognitive traits through the admissions multiple mini-interview.

doi:10.1111/j.1365-2923.2007.02767.x

Thanks everyone for the replies.

BTW, the example of the MMI scenario that you gave freaks me out... I hate questions like : Can you ever think of a time when you had to hold someone's confidence. Who can think up something random like that on the spot??

I'd have to use up a full minute trying to think of a relevant, let alone suitable, example.

Did anyone else find that question about advocating on behalf of your patient weird? Seems strange to me to use the word advocate. Does it mean that you're giving the guy the advice, even though he doesn't have a clear medical problem?

Thanks everyone for the replies.

BTW, the example of the MMI scenario that you gave freaks me out... I hate questions like : Can you ever think of a time when you had to hold someone's confidence. Who can think up something random like that on the spot??

I'd have to use up a full minute trying to think of a relevant, let alone suitable, example.

Did anyone else find that question about advocating on behalf of your patient weird? Seems strange to me to use the word advocate. Does it mean that you're giving the guy the advice, even though he doesn't have a clear medical problem?

I think it means talking to someone on their behalf, like in that case if the doctor talked to the kids parents for him that would be advocating.

A friend in business once told me that for interviews she would have certain examples of things she had done that displayed qualities they look for in business i.e. leadership, innovation etc. She's an all star anyway, but she has never interviewed for a job she didn't get.

I guess you could do the same for medicine think of times when you have displayed empathy, teamwork, confidentiality, resolved conflicts etc. Of course they may ask for an example of something out of left field, but I think its a useful exercise anyways.

Archived