Premed 101 Forums

how many ppl does UBC interview each year? And for how many spots?

Hey BCdental,

When your friend books her interview online, she'll be able to choose from 12 possible time slots (each with a max of 33 other applicants). Based on this, as Avenir figured out in another thread, there should be a max of 660 applicants moving through the MMI.

There are also 256 seats this year in the UBC med program (keep in mind that this includes island and rural spots). That's a 40% chance of receiving an acceptance letter, generally speaking.

Hi,

I am OOP and I have an interview. I was just wondering why you say the odds are THAT much worse for an OOP. Of course there are only limited spots for OOP, but aren't there relatively fewer OOP interviews granted such that the odds aren't that much worse once you've actually received an interview invite?

Just wondering if anyone has any insight on the matter or OOP stats from previous years,

Thankss

i think once u're given an interview as an oop, ur chances of acceptance are prolly even better than ip applicants...they don't interview that many oop's and many accepted oop's will decline their offer if they get accepted in their home province, so the odds are pretty good...u can check previous years' stats for the exact numbers.

Thanks for the response.

I have not been able to find official stats anywhere. The stats they post each year don't show how many OOP receive interviews, only how many applicants there were. If anyone knows these stats, perhaps from an alternative source that'd be great!

well, i may be interpreting this wrong but here http://www.med.ubc.ca/__shared/assets/MED_2011_Admissions_Statistics__application_cycle_2006-2007_3772.pdf on the last page at the very bottom, it says "total" oop = 499, "regrets" = 432...so prolly the difference (ie 67) is the number of oop's interviewd...out of those 31 were offered spots (21 declined offer, 0 deferred entry, and 10 accepted and enrolled).

Hi everyone, in the stats from last year (2007), it said that 37 OOP were granted interviews of which they accepted 10 (according to the stats on UBCs website, 21 declined offers so i assume 31 out of 37 were granted offers)

Also, it said that 603 BC residents were granted interviews. I think 10 seats are for OOP and 13 for aboriginals so that leaves 233 offers for people IP.

http://www.afmc.ca/pdf/2008_admissions_book.pdf

Page 47/48

Where are you getting these numbers from? I have the MSAR book and it says 658 non-residents applied, 90 interviewed, 10 matriculated.

So with interviews, that is 1/9 odds yes? (even if you do factor in these "21 declined" stats, it's 31/90..or am I missing something here?

Archived