Premed 101 Forums

Pre-requisites from Athabasca University??

Good morning!!!

Just wondering if anybody have experience or knowledge about taking BIOL 204 and BIOL 205 and LABB 207 (in person at Alberta) courses as pre requisites for Ottawa University Med School? I'm planning taking same and would like to know any feed back (difficulty level, amount of study etc etc). Also, is it possible to complete this course from any other university, by distance. To me, it's only Athabasca as others either don't have this course "open" right now or they don't offer Lab component. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks again!!!

I took Biol204 with Athabasca and it is equivalent to BIO1140 in Ottawa u and accepted. BIOL205 is not equivalent to anything.

The course was not bad, pretty easy exam , however too much material to read as there are no course notes with Athabasca, I am not a disciplined person so I struggled to study and make time for it.

A class based course is certainly better but if you have no option then go for it.

Thank you very much for the reply. But one thing that i don't understand....

I was told by the ottawa univ. addmisions that to complete Biology requirements i have to have BIOL 204 plus BIOL 205 and plus LABB 207 (8 days lab in person at Athabasca as in home labs are not accepted). Please clarify. Did you mean that by completing BIOL 204 i'll fulfill the BIO requirements for Ottawa Univ med school AND therefore i don't need BIOL 205 and LABB 207? One last question.... Can you finish this course before six months?? And is it possible to get 'A' grade in this course??

I'm in Ottawa and i also prefer in class courses but due to my full time working hours it seems impossible. So, probably i'll go for Athabasca BIOL courses. Thank you very much for your input and i'll wait for your reply.

Satfan

No BIOL204 alone is not equivalent. For Ottawa U. you basically need two biologies BIO1130: Evolution and BIO1140: cell biology(their bio courses).

I personally took BIO1130 in Ottawa and only needed the equivalent of BIO1140 which was BIOL204.

IF they said to you that you need BIOL205 and 207 it means you need to take them.

Biol204 is not bad you just need to be diciplined to make a study time, I got an A on it and u can definitely do it in 6 month, just make sure you dont cram and make sure you dont take forever to hand in your assignments

I just have a few questions on Athabasca courses as prereqs as well. Has anyone done the Chem207 and Chem208? Are these courses enough to meet the one year's worth of chemistry with lab? I understand that Chem207 has a home lab only. Does it count towards the uOttawa lab requirement? I was also planning on doing organic chem through Athabasca as well. Has anyone done it and if so how did you find it?

I did organic chem and really enjoyed it (relatively speaking!) It was well organised, everything made sense, and the lab in Edmonton allowed me to meet others in my class (ie Jochi) with whom I could later chat if I needed help with something. It wasn't too hard & the marking was quite fair.

I'm not sure about the other chem courses, haven't done them. I think someone (teacherlady?) had the same question about home labs though, and already emailed&phoned OttawaU about it. They're quite buisy this week, but maybe when she gets an answer, she would be able to help...

Archived