Premed 101 Forums

Nature of Publications and CARMS

rocky222

Currently during my undergraduate career I have been fortunate enough to rack up 3 publications. One is a 2nd author, another a 3rd author, and the final involves me being way down on a list that includes upwards of 20 authors (due to it being a long drawn out research endeavor with multiple collaborators).

Anyhow, my question is what sorts of authorship/publication record is consistent with applicants to some of the more competitive specialties? I know research/publications within the desired field of study are more coveted, but do medstudents have the ability to secure first authorship publications during their research stints?

I'll be doing another project this summer which has the flexibility of me working on my own project (potential first author) or doing multiple other projects (most likely 2nd/3rd author). The latter might yield lower "quality" publications but has a greater potential for more volume as I'll be working on a few things already in progress.

Just wanted a rough idea of where I currently stand, and what I should be gunning for. Any advice would be helpful.

• 2 months later...

I was going to start a new thread, but the title of this one seems fitting to my question, so I decided not to clutter the forum. I was just wondering whether only original research is viewed favourably in CARMs. I have managed to get the opportunity to publish a few lit. reviews in a specialty I am interested in. Is this considered equivalent to original research when applying through CaRMs? Or do they actually look at your research (i.e. quality, type of publication, authorship, etc).

I guess, my question boils down to: are they most interested in seeing that you have an 'interest' and some experience in the research environment, or are they actually evaluating how well you have performed in the research world to date?

I know research/publications within the desired field of study are more coveted, but do medstudents have the ability to secure first authorship publications during their research stints?

Hi there,

Yes, it is possible for medical students to secure first author papers. In order to do so it requires organization, advanced planning and a willing supervisor.

Yes (#2), publications within the field to which you're applying are going to be a bit more attractive than those in other fields. Especially if you've published with some known folks within that field.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Dude, just chill. You don't need to be "gunning for" anything just yet. Do whatever interests you most.

What interests me most is putting my thumb in my ass and sitting on the couch all day watching TV. Unfortunately, that interest is not conducive to becoming successful in life :(

Archived