Premed 101 Forums

NOSM invites out

Wow! I can't believe I got an interview at Northern of all places....

:)

I woke up this morning and checked email and did not expect to see an invite from them, after a series of rejections from McMaster, UBC, Queen's...

Now I have to sit here and try and figure out how NOSM's interviews work. It looks like they're on the same weekends as UWO. I'm from BC, so it'd be nice if I could turn it into one flight out, whether I would stay for a week (with my friend at med school at U of T), or if I dare to share them on the same weekend. I don't even know how close Sudbury and Thunder Bay are to London...

Now I have to sit here and try and figure out how NOSM's interviews work. It looks like they're on the same weekends as UWO. I'm from BC, so it'd be nice if I could turn it into one flight out, whether I would stay for a week (with my friend at med school at U of T), or if I dare to share them on the same weekend. I don't even know how close Sudbury and Thunder Bay are to London...

You can fly from London to Thunder Bay. The trip takes about 5 hours, with a short stop-over in Toronto. Tickets are $164 + taxes and fees. There are various flight options and times. Driving to Thunder Bay in the winter would be a very long, and potentially hard drive.

You can also fly from London to Sudbury. That trip takes about 3 hours, with a short stop-over in Toronto. Tickets are $133 + taxes and fees. Again, there are various flight options and times. It is also a fairly easy (approx 6 hour) drive between London and Sudbury. Provided the weather is okay, you would be fine. However, some of the roads up north can be nasty during a storm.

Best wishes to you!

Elaine

Thanks for the tips! I'm hoping that my friend will let me stay with him in Toronto during the weekdays. I've only been to Ontario once, and that was my for my interview at UWO last year, so I'd really enjoy the chance to see TO and some more of London and Sudbury/Thunder Bay. I think I'd take a train from London to Toronto after one interview, and then probably fly to the next interview from Toronto!

Now I'm just hoping that I get that formal interview invite from Western soon, as just knowing I've made the cutoffs doesn't make me very confident.

Ah I got my rejection. Pretty disappointed (wasn't so much for Western, Ottawa, and Manitoba) because my partner and I were hoping to settle in and maybe purchase a house. Granted I still am not sure if he will be in Thunder Bay or Sudbury...but he finds out March 6th for matching day. Ah...I guess four years of long distance is calling my name! Now I'm really hoping he gets matched to Sudbury...at least that is closer to the other Ontario schools that I have interviews at....go Queens and Mac

sorry to hear that, but interviews at Queens and McMaster are pretty cool!

Yeah Superkings I am very excited about getting invites. Last year when I applied I did not get a single interview so this is definately better. I also still have hope out for UofT! As many people know on this forum it is a very good sign if you get a UofT interview for your chances of getting into UofT! :) So we can do four years...and if I can get into meds...that will be a dream come true like so many on this forum.

Did anyone else's email say this?

"Congratulations! You are invited to an interview for next year*s class of 2009 at theNorthern Ontario School of Medicine."

Class of 2009?

Haha I definitely noticed that too...so sad really ... sent out to hundreds of people! (what would we be, class of 2012?)

Hey,

Well it has been a hell of a last two weeks!! Just finished internship in Nepal Dec 31st.... fly back to Canada 13th ...start new job in Canada 14th... interview for another job on 14th (soooooo jet lagged I think I was drooling from me eyes:rolleyes: )... get rejected from Ottawa a week later and now believe it or not I have an interview at NOSM!!! When I read it I still thought I was jet-lagged...

However, I am an urbanite but with a number of "rural years" of experience (in canada an overseas) so I don't hold out a lot of hope. But for right now just happy as hell to have an invite at NOSM as it would be my first choice!!

Sorry to hear Flocker, hope you had better luck in Ottawa or Mac.

My paper arrived today (OOP in BC), and there were a few nice typos in it. Most prominently, it told me that I had to send back my interview response

LATER than March 3, 2008.

not... "NO LATER than March 3, 2008".

My assumption is that they want it before March 3rd... people might want to check with the school, as I'd hate to see someone lose an interview by not replying until after March 3rd, even though their paperwork said to...

• 1 month later...

Archived