Premed 101 Forums

How important is research?

satyam

Sorry if this is a repost; I looked around, but couldn't find the answer to this question:

Exactly how important is research in the med school application process?

I know that there are students who get into med school without any research. But will having research experience improve your chances of getting into med school? Is it better to have research over volunteering? Basically what I am trying to figure out is that should I get involved in volunteering or research over the summer. Also, how much does having a publication improve your chances of getting admitted into med school?

I think it depends on the school. I think Toronto definitely looks for it. However other schools seem to prefer volunteer work. Case in point myself. I have 4 years of research experience. I've worked in cancer research as well as synthetic chemistry. While I do have some volunteer work it is not as extensive as some of the other applicants I know.

Of the four schools I applied to (Toronto, Queens, Mac and Ottawa) I got an interview only from Toronto. Admittedly, not getting into Queen's was a result of not meeting their WS requirement. Nevertheless I didn't get an interview at Mac and Ottawa because they thought I needed more extracurriculars.

Keep in mind, I don't think they are looking for volunteer work per se, just that you do something outside of academics. Organized sports are music are great for that.

Apparently I need to get a life, according to Mac and Ottawa, lol.

Anyhoo, best of luck.

Thanks, so now I know its atleast possible. Can anyone here who got an NSERC award give any advice on contacting professors who I've never met before? If I'm emailing a professor for the first time, should I treat it as a cover letter and also attach a copy of my resume (which has nothing research related)? Is it a good idea to just cold call the professor or show up at his/her office without making an appointment first?

You need a supervisor first. They won't review your application without being accepted by a supervisor.

The best way to get a supervisor is to send out a bunch of emails in Sept. with your CV offering to volunteer in a lab. Then in the winter ask the supervisor about a NSERC sponsorship.

Yet, remember that even with a supervisor you need the grades to get approved. The type of grades you need are different depending on the department and number of applicants. At my school to get NSERC through the faculty of med and dent required about a 86-88% cumulative average.

Even if you are not accepted for NSERC I would recommend still trying to see if your supervisor will take you on. Many profs need ppl over the summer and if they know your a serious student then it shouldn't be a problem getting hired on in the summer.

Archived