Premed 101 Forums

Interview Fast Approaching? Ethically All-Over-The-Place?! Read on...

chaserMD

I couldn't help but share this amazing resource with anyone preparing for interviews. (I found it among the mass of posts on the site, but figured it was worth reminding others).

The text is called "Doing Right: A Practical Guide to Ethics for Medical Trainees and Physicians" by Philip Hebert, a practicing physician and educator in Toronto. The book offers a succinct, usable introduction to medical/clinical ethics with a myriad of pertinent case studies.

I would highly recommend either borrowing or buying this book as you prepare for interviews (particularly MMIs).

Alright, you are muttering to yourself: do I really need this book? I have midterms and essays right now, so why would I waste my time and money? Well, below is the quiz for you. If you aren't comfortable with the following terms and have difficulty applying them to example scenarios, then order the book!

I can tell you all about...

1. Patient Autonomy

2. Beneficence

3. Justice

4. Paternalism

5. Maleficence

Good luck preparing for your interview(s)!

• 1 year later...
This quick guide has a few of the key terms in it for the cheap people (like me). :)

http://www.ascensionhealth.org/ethics/public/issues/main.asp

A bit one sided IMO - Seems pretty Catholic biased. Still, it's something. A critical thinking exercise moreso than a survey of all the perspectives relating to the issues, but FREE. Free is good, so thanks.

:)

Just an update: I went to the library and compared the new edition with the 1995 one that I have, and it is very different. It looks he did a total rewrite, and added a couple of chapters. The stuff on Before Life (baby stuff) is all new and much more up to date.

It's worthwhile to buy the new book if you can, but you're still going to get into med school by reading the old one.

I really think that reading all of Doing Rght is hyped up but a huge waste of time. Understanding the decision making framework in Doing Right is important and probably essential if you want to be confident that you're going to be able to answer medically based ethical questions. Beyond that, the case studies are nice examples but irrelevant. Chapters on chapters of irrelevance*. Chances are that you won't even be asked a medical ethical scenario at your interview.

*It suddenly becomes relevant once you're in med school; it's just irrelevant for interviews.

While I agree that the specific examples in the book probably aren't really relevant to interviews, one thing that the book does very well is to try to show you how to begin to approach these often very complex issues. Sometimes even identifying the moral dilemna is difficult to do. While the examples probably won't show up on any interview, they do serve to reinforce the idea of how complex these issues can be. I know when I went through this book, every example I read I was like "Oh... I never even thought of that angle".

I agree with WaveSense. The point of reading Doing Right, at least for me, is that it's a very reader friendly look at ethical scenarios that may not leap to mind...and it's very different from the philosophy-jardon-saturated other bioethics books out there.

Basically, it is a useful prep tool for people without the background in ethics, since it helps you think about things from all angles.

Archived