Premed 101 Forums

"That wonder student"

I was talking to one of the people I graduated with today. He got into the school of medicine with a 3.10 gpa and a 28 on the MCAT. Said he got the nickname of "that wonder student" because of his hail mary stats. I thought it was quite funny.

Anyone else have any odd stories of admission or during the program they'd like to share?

I was talking to one of the people I graduated with today. He got into the school of medicine with a 3.10 gpa and a 28 on the MCAT. Said he got the nickname of "that wonder student" because of his hail mary stats. I thought it was quite funny.

Anyone else have any odd stories of admission or during the program they'd like to share?

he must have been an olympic athlete or something! (damn you high endeavour...):P

he must have been an olympic athlete or something! (damn you high endeavour...):P

hey, hey now -- don't be dissin' the high endeavour score!! i did a lot (a few thousand hours over several years) of community service work in high school...in computers...and i got a bunch of points in that category for it. they do put some thought in scoring your application!!

Do you mean to say that medschools actually look at your highschool involvement!? :eek: I've been told otherwise, but it would be great if that were true.

To paraphrase what an advisor at UBC med once told me: "Experiences do not have and expiration date."

However, I'm guessing recent stuff carries more weight.

the 28 isn't really that surprising (you could easily meet most school's minimum requirements) but that GPA does seem quite low. how would that translate to %? i'm pretty sure UBC accepts some people in the low 70s every year.

Archived