Premed 101 Forums

Amcas 2008

Guest viscous

Guest viscous

wow this is weird man. Why aer the applications for entering class of 2008 still open? Which sane soul would consider applying now?

Also....

# When is the deadline for applications to be received by AMCAS?

There are two sets of application deadline dates. The Early Decision Program (EDP) has a deadline of August 1 for all medical schools. The Regular Admissions Program deadlines vary from school to school. Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) of the deadline date.

Regular Admissions Program Deadlines

# What is meant by an AMCAS deadline?

An AMCAS deadline is the date by which the application and fee must be received by AMCAS. You must certify and submit your web-application and pay the fee by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) of the deadline date. It is NOT the date that the application must be received by your designated medical school(s).

So are there THREE deadlines in total?????????????????

It doesn't matter. Just finish and submit your AMCAS in June. Doesn't hurt to look at your AMCAS app now, start working on the essay, and getting LORs lined up.

Get secondaries in as fast as they come. Being AMCAS complete in July, and being complete at schools in August or even earlier is a recipe for 'greeeat success'.

I can't stress enough how important applying EARLY is. It can be the differenece between getting interviewed/accepted in October/November and getting completely shut out.

Guest viscous

Kenneth, thanks for the great help. I read somewhere taht you got into syracause (Upstate medical university). Interestingly I bought my car from an American who had the sticker for that university on hsi rear window. So that was interesting!

Did you exhaustively try to get into Canadian schools befoer applying to the US (I mean you applied for several year only at CDN schools) or you just wanted to start MD without wasting any year so you applied both in the US and Canada at the same time? Personally, I DO NOT want to go to the states as the sole reason for my and my family's immigration to Canada was to get good education and become a better doctor than I could if I studied in top colleges in South Asia....so it makes no sense to go to US. But the competition is ridiculously too much, 3.87 wgpa cutoff for ottawa is one example!

Each school has a deadline by which they require the AMCAS application to be submitted - a.k.a. "primary" application. Each school then requires you to complete a secondary application, which will be sent to you either via snail mail or e-mail (the schools will notify you as to how you can obtain and complete the secondary application).

AMCAS deadlines can go as late as Dec for some schools. The list of these deadlines can be found here: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2008deadlines.htm

Like Kenneth said - deadlines DON'T MATTER. It is in your BEST interest to submit the AMCAS application as EARLY as possible. The earliest date you can submit it is JUNE 1ST. The 2009 application will be made available in EARLY MAY.

Deadlines for secondary applications can be as late as Jan/Feb for some schools. Again, it is in your best interest to have these completed ASAP. Preferrably July/Aug.

There are only TWO deadlines. The AMCAS/primary application deadline and the secondary application deadline. Again, it's better to complete them ASAP and not even consider putting them off until the deadline approaches.

Hope this helps.

# When is the deadline for applications to be received by AMCAS?

There are two sets of application deadline dates. The Early Decision Program (EDP) has a deadline of August 1 for all medical schools. The Regular Admissions Program deadlines vary from school to school. Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) of the deadline date.

Regular Admissions Program Deadlines

# What is meant by an AMCAS deadline?

An AMCAS deadline is the date by which the application and fee must be received by AMCAS. You must certify and submit your web-application and pay the fee by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) of the deadline date. It is NOT the date that the application must be received by your designated medical school(s).

So are there THREE deadlines in total?????????????????

To answer the three deadlines question...there are only two listed there, early decision program and regular admissions program. the second question is referring to the regular admissions. either way, you should submit the amcas WAY before the early decision program deadline.

Kenneth, thanks for the great help. I read somewhere taht you got into syracause (Upstate medical university). Interestingly I bought my car from an American who had the sticker for that university on hsi rear window. So that was interesting!

Did you exhaustively try to get into Canadian schools befoer applying to the US (I mean you applied for several year only at CDN schools) or you just wanted to start MD without wasting any year so you applied both in the US and Canada at the same time? Personally, I DO NOT want to go to the states as the sole reason for my and my family's immigration to Canada was to get good education and become a better doctor than I could if I studied in top colleges in South Asia....so it makes no sense to go to US. But the competition is ridiculously too much, 3.87 wgpa cutoff for ottawa is one example!

I'm actually applying to both US and Canada and have been lucky to receive a few offers, including Upstate. I would not view going to the US as a step down in terms of the quality of MD training, it's simply a different route, albeit one that can be more pricey (but you will be surprised how things like scholarships and financial aid from some schools can quickly tip the balance or at least even it moderately).

Guest viscous

I have written my mcat. Score is not too great at 32Q. I am planning to write again in sep this year but I guess I'll have to use old marks for this years applications.

Kenneth, what us schools provide such aid to canadians except Yale?

Kenneth, what us schools provide such aid to canadians except Yale?

I know for sure that Yale, Harvard, Dartmouth, Columbia provide financial aid. WashU and Case have merit scholarships that Canadians are eligible to compete for.

Unfortunately, these are the exception, not the rule. The majority of schools offer zero fin.aid and Canadians are ineligible for scholarships so financing such an education should be important to consider as well.

Guest viscous
I know for sure that Yale, Harvard, Dartmouth, Columbia provide financial aid. WashU and Case have merit scholarships that Canadians are eligible to compete for.

Unfortunately, these are the exception, not the rule. The majority of schools offer zero fin.aid and Canadians are ineligible for scholarships so financing such an education should be important to consider as well.

Dartmouth seems interesting! Kenneth, I have a question. As I said, I already have my mcat scores. If I finish my apps on time this June and send in the secondaries and write the mcat for the second time in Septemeber so taht I can increase my score for Canadian schools, how would this second MCAT effect my already 'sent' applications to the US schools with old mcat marks. I am sure, some of them at least would already have reviewed my app alongwith old mcat marks. How can I go about finiding each school's policy? Email all of em?

Guest viscous

Dartmouth seems interesting! Kenneth, I have a question. As I said, I already have my mcat scores. If I finish my apps on time this June and send in the secondaries and write the mcat for the second time in Septemeber so taht I can increase my score for Canadian schools, how would this second MCAT effect my already 'sent' applications to the US schools with old mcat marks. I am sure, some of them at least would already have reviewed my app alongwith old mcat marks. How can I go about finiding each school's policy? Email all of em?

If I recall, you can state on your AMCAS that you expect new MCAT scores. Schools will take that into account - BUT, it would probably be better to have all your scores ready at the time of submission. Writing your MCAT in September is asking for trouble (getting your app. delayed etc).

32 will get you interviews if you apply early (mid and low tier). not good enough for ivy league/top tier unless you have something else unbelievably amazing (think along the lines of curing cancer or something...).

Pardon my ignorance....I know that Yale, Columbia, WashU, Case are top tier.

What about Dartmouth? Also top tier? (nvm, I googled..I think it's Ivy League).

So only top tier schools give financial aid/scholarships to Canadians, and middle/bottom tier = deal with it yourself? =(

Pardon my ignorance....I know that Yale, Columbia, WashU, Case are top tier.

What about Dartmouth? Also top tier? (nvm, I googled..I think it's Ivy League).

So only top tier schools give financial aid/scholarships to Canadians, and middle/bottom tier = deal with it yourself? =(

I wouldn't bank on the USNews rankings too much, although we don't have much else to go on. Unfortunately, even among the top tier schools, very few offer fin.aid/scholarships to Canadians. Duke (IIR) doesn't, neither does Johns Hopkins. Consequently, if you're applying to the US, you should treat it as the rule, rather than the exception, that you'll be footing the entire bill. In fact, a lot of schools will pull you aside during interviews and spell it out to you, as well as make you sign a form to show you understand.

As for the 32 MCAT - it is a good score. It will get you considered at places like Upstate but as Madz mentioned, it starts to get increasingly tougher at more prestigious schools unless there's some other compelling aspects in your app. This might be research (a lot of it...and productive research too), life experiences, great clinical experiences (shadowing etc), a VERY well written primary and secondary etc. Hate to say it, but the US really <3s their MCAT and a lot of the higher tier scores will hundreds and hundreds of applications from ppl with 30-32MCAT. PS: Unless you're a robot with a titanium endoskeleton and a MCAT of 40+, don't waste your time with WashU.

Guest viscous
I wouldn't bank on the USNews rankings too much, although we don't have much else to go on. Unfortunately, even among the top tier schools, very few offer fin.aid/scholarships to Canadians. Duke (IIR) doesn't, neither does Johns Hopkins. Consequently, if you're applying to the US, you should treat it as the rule, rather than the exception, that you'll be footing the entire bill. In fact, a lot of schools will pull you aside during interviews and spell it out to you, as well as make you sign a form to show you understand.

As for the 32 MCAT - it is a good score. It will get you considered at places like Upstate but as Madz mentioned, it starts to get increasingly tougher at more prestigious schools unless there's some other compelling aspects in your app. This might be research (a lot of it...and productive research too), life experiences, great clinical experiences (shadowing etc), a VERY well written primary and secondary etc. Hate to say it, but the US really <3s their MCAT and a lot of the higher tier scores will hundreds and hundreds of applications from ppl with 30-32MCAT. PS: Unless you're a robot with a titanium endoskeleton and a MCAT of 40+, don't waste your time with WashU.

Thank u Kenneth for the info. So what mid tier schools take Canadian students? Even tho dartmouth is ivy their avg mcat is 32. So is it top or mid tier?

Guest viscous

And as I mentioned I would like to write mcat again so what is the ideal time to write without jeopardizing my aamc app? July? June? And if u don't mind what was ur mcat score?

No one can give you fixed answers here. Write your MCATs as early as you feel you are ready. Just keep in mind it can potentially delay your app. That said, re-writing with a 32Q seems overkill.

As for Dartmouth - the average MCAT/GPA#s say very little. It's a small class (~70 incoming) so they're obviously looking at more than stats when building their class given they received over 6000 applications this year and could likely fill their class many times over with applicants with 35+ if they so chose. To further emphasize the point: HMS has an avg MCAT of ~35, but it's meaningless because they're looking for qualities waaaaaay beyond just stats.

Don't get too caught up in GPAs and MCATs. It's only one piece in the puzzle, albeit an important one.

Guest viscous

Thank u once again. Hmmm, regarding mcat score, I think I am capable of getting at least 2-3 points more on verbal. You know, the repetitive dreams of emerald fields and green meadows and the desire to achieve them within this mortal life soon relieves one of the passivity that emerges from the thought of rewriting the mcat. I just hope that these dreams are not hallucinations. Thank you

Archived