Premed 101 Forums

The changing curriculum

I'm not sure who to ask but I heard that too from a student in her third year at Ottawa. I guess if the person who told you was a student that is a start, but the program itself is always a good choice or if you have an interview I'm sure they will go over that information there.

From what I've heard, the curriculum will change towards more pbls, fewer lectures and fewer exams. Instead of being short (5-6wks), 1 sytem/block (ie cardio, resp), a few blocks will be put together to allow a more intergrative learning (ie how the systems & their respective pathologies are connected, etc.).

I don't have any more details than that yet but the faculty organised a meeting for us on Feb. 25th in order to make us better able to answer your questions on this topic. I'll try to get back to you when I have more info, if I forget plz remind me!

The ppl who are doing the tours on the days of the interviews should also be able to answer questions on the new curriculum...right now, even we don't really know what is happening next year, but as Julie said, we will be going to a meeting on Feb. 25th to get the lowdown. Don't stress out about that now though...you will still be learning all of the same stuff...maybe just in a different (and hopefully better) way.

No stress haha. A med student at Ottawa just told me in passing but didn't know too much about it...I guess because you guys haven't been told much either. I actually like the current program from what I've heard about it, so I was just curious about what it's changing into. I'll check back around the 25th though. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

So we had our curriculum meeting today (and as well there is a link to it on the website but as of the weekend it still wasn't working so they are going to try to fix that!)

So there is no big overhaul of the curriculum..moreso a few tweaks here and there to take out things that aren't working for us now and to add new ideas. The new curriculum will still be covering all of the same material as the class now does. It is 2 years pre clerkship and 2 clerkship years still. However, they are trying to integrate the blocks together more (in our class, where everything is broken up, it is hard to integrate different systems, etc) So what they are doing is, you have an intro for 3 weeks at the start, to talk about some of the fundamentals of medicine, to get you in the frame of mind of not just a one track minded clinician, but to appreciate all aspects of medicine. then there will be another unit where you will kinda learn the basic sciences and fundamentals for the rest of the units. Then there are 3 big units (the first one is blood, homeostasis, renal, resp, cardio) and I believe it is for about 12 weeks.In this time frame, you will have (at least) 1 midterm,and a final at the end (which you have a week off to study for!)

Unit 1 ends at the end of year 1 and units 2 and 3 and the Integration are all in year 4. There wil be Case based learning as opposed to problem based learning (which from what was said today is going to be much more useful) and less time will be spent in lectures and more time either in other interactive classroom settings or in time devoted to self study. There will still be a rural week and mandatory elective week...ANd 3rd and 4th year really didn't change a whole lot...so yeah! Basically less lectures, more integration, and midterms/finals rather than block tests!(the details on the evalutations is still in the air)

Hope this calms some worries, and good luck on the interviews!

• 3 months later...
Hey!

So we had our curriculum meeting today (and as well there is a link to it on the website but as of the weekend it still wasn't working so they are going to try to fix that!)

So there is no big overhaul of the curriculum.. So what they are doing is, you have an intro for 3 weeks at the start, to talk about some of the fundamentals of medicine, to get you in the frame of mind of not just a one track minded clinician, but to appreciate all aspects of medicine. then there will be another unit where you will kinda learn the basic sciences and fundamentals for the rest of the units. Then there are 3 big units (the first one is blood, homeostasis, renal, resp, cardio) and I believe it is for about 12 weeks.In this time frame, you will have (at least) 1 midterm,and a final at the end (which you have a week off to study for!)

Hey Tri-girl....

ok so for the new curriculum I looked on ottawa's website and they have things broken down in units 1/2/3. For unit 1 ( Homeostasis / Hematology and Neoplasia / Cardiovascular / Upper Airways and Lungs / Renal System)

It's being taught over a span of roughly 20 wks. Does that mean that each topic will be taught simultaneously and the final exam period will take place over the last week of the semester or will we have exams after each section....(I'm thinking it's the first one)...I hope I made myself clear

________

GLASS PIPES

omg...they are gonna give you guys time to study!!! What a novel idea.

are you serious?? this year is so much better than 1st and 2nd year cause there's not that 2 days of anticipation for the stupid exam when I still don't really study! I'd hate having a week of that!

Archived