Premed 101 Forums

community reference

hey guys, just wanted a bit of clarification... for my references, I have a personal reference (a varsity coach of mine), an academic reference (prof who taught me and who I've gotten to know quite well). With that said, I have been working on a research project in the lab of one of the faculty since may 2007, she knows me quite well and said she would give me a good reference. I am wondering if it would be okay to have her as my community reference. I know she could also be viewed as an academic reference, but the thing is, she actually hasn't taught me any courses, but has had me working in her lab, interacting with grad students, going to conferences, etc, so I would view this as more of a community type of involvement even though it has an academic component. Just wanted to know everyone's thoughts, and if anyone would think this was a bad idea... basically the 3 aforementioned people are the three who I think know me best and would make the most influential reference letters. thanks.

hey guys, just wanted a bit of clarification... for my references, I have a personal reference (a varsity coach of mine), an academic reference (prof who taught me and who I've gotten to know quite well). With that said, I have been working on a research project in the lab of one of the faculty since may 2007, she knows me quite well and said she would give me a good reference. I am wondering if it would be okay to have her as my community reference. I know she could also be viewed as an academic reference, but the thing is, she actually hasn't taught me any courses, but has had me working in her lab, interacting with grad students, going to conferences, etc, so I would view this as more of a community type of involvement even though it has an academic component. Just wanted to know everyone's thoughts, and if anyone would think this was a bad idea... basically the 3 aforementioned people are the three who I think know me best and would make the most influential reference letters. thanks.

Hi Mick,

I'm not sure how other people feel about this, but I generally try to use a volunteer reference for my community reference. Someone like a coordinator of a volunteer placement or something like that, who can speak to my personal character; my desire to help others and my ability to work and communicate in challenging environments. I tend to use a 'work' reference for my personal reference. Volunteering is an important aspect of UBC's philosophy so as much as I can show that off tends to be my strategy. Having said that however; if you feel that the three people that you mention personally know you the best, than they might be the way to go, as you don't want to choose a reference based solely on their professional status and not on who would be able to best comment on your abilities......

Guest 02'topaz

Hey Mick,

If this helps, I also used a professor with whom I have done research with as my community reference. My academic reference is also a professor with whom I work doing research. BOTH profs have taught me in courses; however I told my community referee to not comment on my academic abilities, but rather focus on the work I have done with him. I thought about it long and hard and at the end of the day, I wanted to choose someone who could accurately describe my character and ambitions and was comfortable writing me a reference.

Now I have worked with SEVERAL different volunteer coordinators over the years, but how often is it that they actually get to know you? I mean sure, there are certain instances where I would feel comfortable asking some of my coordinators for a reference, but for the most part, in larger volunteer programs like the hospital, you are simply one volunteer among hundreds. Now there is obviously a chance you may get to know this person quite well and they could write you a great reference, but my major problem here was the actual reference sheet. I still felt that since the coordinator (in this instance the hospital volunteer program coordinator) had not worked with me DIRECTLY, she would have a difficult time "marking" me. This of course is different if one has been involved with volunteer or community programs where they have directly worked with the person they are asking for a reference.

Furthermore, the UBC website even lists managers, supervisors, etc as potential people to ask for a community reference. I don't think it necessarily matters who you choose per se, but consider the entire process holistically. That is, choose your three references in such a way that when combined together, they accurately describe all aspects of your character. In this case, one would expect picking two profs as referees to be detrimental, but that would only be the case IF they both were commenting on your academic abilities, which they're not. So in my honest opinion, GO FOR IT.

Goodluck!

hey guys, thanks a lot for the input. I've decided I'll ask my supervisor if she feels she knows the community side of my persona well enough to act as the reference, and if so ask her. If she doesn't feel she can be a good community reference, I have a former teacher with whom I've volunteered as a referee and coach, so I'll ask him. once again, thanks for the responses.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived