Premed 101 Forums

Does age discrimination exist in UBC's selection

I don't understand why so many people believe that there is discrimination age or race (as was suggested in some other posts). UBC Med simply selects the most suitable candidates. Obviously, when comparing a 19 yr-old to a 25 yr-old, the latter will most likely have, on average, more life experiences, be more mature, have slightly better communication skills, have accomplished more in his/her life, etc. than the 19 yr-old. That will be reflected in a higher NAQ score and most likely will result in a better interview score as well. That's why the average age of admission is close to 25yrs.

I think if you are young or old, that shouldn't have any bearing on your chances. However, if you come off as mature or immature, that will certainly have an affect on your chances. There are arguments for why it would either be better to let in older applicants or why it would be better to let in younger applicants. The main thing UBC is concerned with is producing competent doctors and part of that includes a certain level of maturity.

If the interviewers suspected you were young, it may be because you came off as "young" aka immature. However, this is pure speculation and cannot be confirmed. The process is imperfect and that is part of the reason they have switched to MMI - there is evidence that it is "less imperfect".

They actually have a seperate catagory on the post-inteview scoring were they score you on beauty or handsomeness - it's really hard to score a 5/5 on it, but i've seen some people get their photos professionally done, use spray-on hair for their bald spot, and some have tried the soft-focus style on theirs to hide some of their blemishes - one year I tried raising my eyebrows and cocking my head to the side, but in my feedback session they said that it wasn't the style anymore and that I was better off with a more classic look.

They actually have a seperate catagory on the post-inteview scoring were they score you on beauty or handsomeness - it's really hard to score a 5/5 on it, but i've seen some people get there photos professionally done, use spray-on hair for their bald spot, and some have tried the soft-focus style on theirs to hide some of their blemishes - one year I tried raising my eyebrows and cocking my head to the side, but in my feedback session that said that it wasn't the style anymore and that I was better off with a more classic look.

You forgot to add that any use of photoshop would be cheating and considered nonacademic dishonesty and therefore the guilty applicant disqualified

Archived