Premed 101 Forums

Question about Medical Students Giving Advice

I came upon a practice question about medical students giving medical advice, that I'm not sure how to answer if I get this in an actual interview! So I'm curious what everyone else thinks. Should medical students give advice? Why or why not? What are the implications of giving and not giving advice?

I assume you mean medical advice. (Note to self: Dangerous to assume)

I think this would be a bad idea, giving medical advice beyond "You should get that looked at".

Surely you've heard of the so-called "Medical Student Syndrome" where every medical student becomes a raging hypochondriac for some period of their training. Medical students do not initially have the training to make diagnoses and the common assumption by laypeople that they would is dangerous, frankly. The student should make it clear that they are not a doctor and have as much authority to suggest medical advice as Dr Phil does:rolleyes:

A great question, though.

Sorry, yes I meant medical advice!

And in the context of this question, it would be medical advice to family, friends, etc. who may ask your opinion.

I assume you mean medical advice. (Note to self: Dangerous to assume)

I think this would be a bad idea, giving medical advice beyond "You should get that looked at".

Surely you've heard of the so-called "Medical Student Syndrome" where every medical student becomes a raging hypochondriac for some period of their training. Medical students do not initially have the training to make diagnoses and the common assumption by laypeople that they would is dangerous, frankly. The student should make it clear that they are not a doctor and have as much authority to suggest medical advice as Dr Phil does:rolleyes:

A great question, though.

LOL...me too. As far as medical students giving medical advice, there is a fair amount of grey area. To be sure, it would be safest, and most ethically, medically, and legally responsible to fully disclose your training status. Beyond that, a medical student can comment on anything he/she feels comfortable with and competently trained on. Particularly if it's a family member, whom you could follow-up with and assess regularly.

"At first I thought the title referred to those of us posting in this forum! "

LOL...that's the first thing that popped into my head as well.

In addition to all of your great answers, I'd like to add a few more points:

1) physician licensing is there for a reason-namely, to ensure that the material taught in med school has been satisfactorily understood by med students and that they are qualified to become full-fledged physicians. Perhaps the med 2 student giving advice may have not learned all the materials, and to the required depth necessary to give as well-informed a diagnoses as he/she possible can.

2) Although well-meaning, giving detailed diagnostic advice (when you aren't fully qualified) to others might be dangerous and lead to false diagnoses, patient bias and consequently bad outcomes

3) During med school, you gain experience by doing clinical rotations, PBL, and later residency. The experience you gain is invaluable to your ability to make a well-informed diagnoses and the lack thereof should be considered a barrier to giving accurate, informed advice.

Archived