Premed 101 Forums

OOP Acceptances?

Geraldw

So 8 get accepted... Anyone know how many are waitlisted vs. rejected?

Some numbers I'm guessing:

~8 spots for OOP

~8-9 initial offers of acceptance

~99% of the remaining applicants (~40) placed on a secret ranked waitlist. Maybe the odd one or two applicants rejected, although unlikely.

I wouldn't expect the list will move much. The rest of us won't be hearing anything until late May, if at all.

Really??? I remember during my interview, they told me that a certain number would be waitlisted... and a certain number (~20) would be rejected... But I can't remember the exact numbers.....

I would see very little purpose in rejecting 20 applicants. Far easier to just wait list everyone. That's just my opinion though - which date did you interview? I was on the 15th and didn't hear anything of this sort mentioned.

Any other OOPers secretly lurking want to chime in?

I would see very little purpose in rejecting 20 applicants. Far easier to just wait list everyone. That's just my opinion though - which date did you interview? I was on the 15th and didn't hear anything of this sort mentioned.

Any other OOPers secretly lurking want to chime in?

I was there on the 15th too. I remember Michel saying that we would receive one of three things: a rejection, a wait list, or an acceptance. So I would assume that not everyone who interviewed is waitlisted. Oh well, I'm not going to hold my breath.

I also got in ... I totally can't believe it... I printed out the letter and I'm walking around with it in my pocket so that every few minutes I can take it out and enjoy the fact that it's real. I wish all of you the best luck-- this was my second time applying, so don't let yourself give up :)

As regards waitlists etc., I asked M. Dansereau when I was in Montreal and he said that they typically accept 8, waitlist 2-3x more people and reject everyone else, so I figure that would be about 25 rejections. If you got rejected, don't take it badly; getting interviewed as OOP is totally wicked, and means that you're a strong candidate. Take it as motivation to stay focused for your other interviews, and good luck!

:) :) :)

Hey guys,

Long time lurker. . .Just thought I'd join in the fun. I got in today-- still can't believe it. I just wanted to wish all the best to everyone on the waitlist- for your sakes, I'm hoping it'll move.

Anyway, I'd also love to see who I'm going to be going to school with next year, so maybe we all should join the McGill Medicine 2012 page on facebook. I take it a bunch of Med-P's set it up last year, but I don't think they would mind if we introduced ourselves on there.

Cheers

-Macster

• 2 weeks later...
i was pretty much set on McGill as soon as I went for the interview, i cancelled my apps to all the other schools...but there was no way i can say i expected to be accepted since there are so few spots

lol you canceled all your other apps before you found out you got accepted to McGill? That takes balls...

Archived