Premed 101 Forums

Undergrad Aussie Application...

Guest Spencer

Guest Spencer

Hey Peoples!

Anyone out there whose planning to apply for post-grad/undergrad entry to an Australian/Irish school? If so, what are your reasons/motivation? Which medical school will you be planning to apply to? How will you finance your education? How does the whole PR status situation fit into the picture? Are you planning to come back to Canada? Or will you have said your goodbyes to a medical career in Canada once you depart?

...I am applying for entry to an Australian undergrad school next year. My reasons range from a practical level to a personal level. Firstly, I believe that I will get more out of a 5-6 year program rather than a 4-year typical post-grad program (my personal opinion). Secondly, if you calculate the inflation in medical school tuition in Canada, its almost impossible to predict the tuition by the time I get into medical school. In Australia...at least once you're in, the tuition will freeze at that level. I've always wanted to live in Australia...and I think that learning the art and science of medicine in an entirely new culture/country is an exciting prospect. With regards to returning to Canada, I think that it is too soon to tell. Who knows what might happen in 6 years, maybe IMGs won't have to face up to the scrutinizing/demoralizing demands currently reinforced by the CMA. Even if I don't have the opportunity to return to practice in Canada, it wouldn't be much of a problem. Once you're granted PR in Australia, you have guaranteed yourself post-graduate training in Australia, and from what I've heard, Australian doctors practice in a much more relaxed fashion, unlike their North American counterparts who are constantly stressed and working inhumane hours. So those are my reasons...

Any feedback on your own experiences/aspirations/motivations would be greatly appreciated! Maybe we can finally clear up the misunderstanding that we do not flee Canada to obtain our medical education because we have been rejected or discouraged that we would never stand a chance in Canada. Maybe we do have ulterior motives...motives that are sincere, but suspicious and impractical to the eye of the general public.

• 1 year later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118447400</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>Undergrad Aussie Application...</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>Undergrad Aussie Application...</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Archived