Premed 101 Forums

Queen's MCAT

So I've heard Queen's cutoffs for MCAt this year were increased to an R in the writing section...Does everything think this year's cutoffs will stay the same next year? I know it's impossible to be 100% sure, but I have a 10/10/10T MCAT, and was wondering if I should rewrite it to apply to Queen's next cycle.

Thank!

Guest begaster

No guarantee whatsoever. Last year, it was 10/10/10Q. A few years ago, it was 9/9/9Q with a cumulative of 32. You can't predict. Your score is strong, rewriting could go your way (increase) or hurt you (decrease). I wouldn't risk it.

No guarantee whatsoever. Last year, it was 10/10/10Q. A few years ago, it was 9/9/9Q with a cumulative of 32. You can't predict. Your score is strong, rewriting could go your way (increase) or hurt you (decrease). I wouldn't risk it.

Since Queens doesn't look at your last score, just your best, taking the MCAT again wouldn't hurt. It might affect other schools though.

I fell into the same consideration:

I scored a 31T, its one of those scores that is neither here nor there.

Certainly an excellent score don't get me wrong (as is 30T), but it ain't a 35 or 37. On the other hand, it is competitive at many places - especially schools like Queens that has cutoffs usually around 10, and (I guess this year), an R.

I decided that I think taking the risk of writing it again had greater downside than upside. I don't think I would have been able to move my 31 up appreciably to a 36 or something without putting in some MAJOR efforts - beyond which I was willing or had the time to do.

Plus if I wrote it again and got like a 32S, it doesn't really move me much.

If I ended up getting a 7 or 8 on VR the second time I write it, then I am, as they say in the states, FUBAR. It's not as much getting the 7 or 8, but the drop from a VR of 10 to a VR of 8 wouldn't look very good. And with VR, you never really know how well you're going to score unless you're James Joyce II or something.

Many schools look at your most recent MCAT as was stated, so I decided to go with my 11 10 T 10.

This was my own experience and my own judgement and I offer it for what its worth to you making your decision on whether to write it again or not.

I got an interview at Queens (March 2nd, as everyone says it felt good and nice), and I have one at Manitoba this weekend. UofT and Mac turned me down.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Archived