Premed 101 Forums

2nd time interviewing at Western

Just a question pertaining to those of us interviewing at the same school a second time around. Anyone from Western think it would be a good idea to let the panel know it's your second time interviewing with them? Will it be viewed as a sign of commitment and determination to practice medicine, specifically at their school or will they see it negatively? e.g., why couldn't this guy get in before? why didn't other schools want him/her etc?

Just a question pertaining to those of us interviewing at the same school a second time around. Anyone from Western think it would be a good idea to let the panel know it's your second time interviewing with them? Will it be viewed as a sign of commitment and determination to practice medicine, specifically at their school or will they see it negatively? e.g., why couldn't this guy get in before? why didn't other schools want him/her etc?

Not from western and not in a med school yet,

but just my opinion from what I've heard: IF the need arises to explain this or tell them, then go ahead (i.e. don't lie or don't hold it back) - if you were asked what you did last year or if this is your first time applying, etc. However, if they don't ask or the situation doesn't warrant it, don't go out of your way to mention this. You can emphasize you are committed and determined to medicine by showing some of your other involvements / passions, not necessarily telling them you didn't get in last year, so re-applying (this is debatable - to some this would be good, but to others - it could be negative... i.e. why didn't get in last year etc) For me, I'd stay on the safer side. Best of luck.

I was thinking of using the fact that I had applied previously and not been admitted as an example of one of my failures/disappointments if they asked one of those types of questions. From there, pretty much elaborating on some of the things I have learned about myself from that experience and how I feel I am now more determined and qualified this time around.

Guess it just depends on what way you spin it really.

i think if you've been finished school and doing something then it's a bit different than say someone applying in 3rd year and then in 4th year. If you've been out of school I think it'd be easy to put a very positive spin on it, saying what you've been doing with your time and how you've (hopefully) made the most of the situation you were in. You can learn a whole lot from failures/disappointments. Self-evaluation is a good quality to have and if getting rejected gave you the opportunity to re-evaluate yourself, this could be a good thing for sure. This is assuming you've actually done something over the past year and didn't just mope around for a year. If you moped for a year, then i'd probably try to avoid the topic.

Life sure doesn't always work out how you plan it to, so it's all about making the most of the hand you're dealt. I got to travel and teach, which was awesome and i'm so glad i got the chance to do it. Now however, i'm ready to be accepted cuz the hassle of reapplying again would not be so much fun....

Hi stone07,

I had to go through two rounds before getting in here at Western. At my Queen's interview, I actually got the same interviewer I did the year before! So I couldn't help but mention that! It came up again later in the interview in the context of, "How many times would you apply?" and other things along those lines.

At Western, it never came up so I never mentioned it.

I got into both! So the choice is yours. I'd be honest, but wouldn't make a point of bringing it up.

Hi stone07,

I had to go through two rounds before getting in here at Western. At my Queen's interview, I actually got the same interviewer I did the year before! So I couldn't help but mention that! It came up again later in the interview in the context of, "How many times would you apply?" and other things along those lines.

At Western, it never came up so I never mentioned it.

I got into both! So the choice is yours. I'd be honest, but wouldn't make a point of bringing it up.

Sounds like the best advice Magnum, I'd probably follow that. Though I may mention it if they bring up something like the biggest disappointment in your life/adversity you faced etc. type of question.

Thanks, for the advice everyone!

Having just gone through my interview as a second time applicant to UWO, I can say that the experience made a HUGE difference in my anxiety level! It was a great interview and the interviewers were very friendly and relaxed.

Just have fun in there guys, it's not that hard. Like everyone says, be yourself!

definitely just depends on the interviewers. They all have their set of questions/topics to cover, but last year was kind of a question/answer/question/answer thing whereas this year was more of a dialogue, which I really enjoyed, makes it a whole lot easier to talk for an hour when it's a bit more back and forth rather than you just talking without much or any feedback or followups. I didn't even get through telling them about myself before i had some decent dialogue going.

And yeah, the experience of last year was a great thing to have. I find most reapplicants come into interviews with much better/more relaxed attitudes because of the experience. Hopefully this will pay off for all of us in the end and we'll all get in!

Archived