Premed 101 Forums

Which schools to apply?

Guest cc

Hello all,

I'm new to the process of applying to Australian schools. I was wondering which schools accept international students with a undergraduate degree?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

cc

Guest UofA man

There are 5 schools that take international students. There is approx. 115 spots available, with Sydeny taking the most followed by Flinders. Yes you can apply to the schools via ACER however some schools allow you to do direct applications, and Flinders also has an early acceptance program. The advantage of applying directly is that you can get more than one interview if you apply through ACER you can only get one interview. When you apply through ACER you rank the schools by your preference, and two or more schools want to interview you, you will the interview with the school you ranked higher and the other intervies will be automatically cancelled.

Hope this helps.

Guest redshifteffect

*Note*

Melbourne is both undergrad/post grad. The important thing to know is that even if you apply as a post grad you GET NO EXEMPTION...meaning you stil have to do the 6 year program.

It is thus "easier" to apply as both if you do want to apply there. As an undergrad you also will not require the MCAT.

Guest kellyl20

Hi RSE:

Could you please list the schools that takes HS grads as you know them? Also, are all the programs 6 years or some of them are 5 years?

Guest redshifteffect

Hello Kelly,

Under grad unis

Monash (Melbourne) - 5 yrs

Uni of NSW (in Sydney) - 6 years

Tas (Hobart) - 6 years (soon to be 5)

Newcastle (in NSW) - no idea

WA (Perth) - no idea

James Cook (Sydney) - No idea

Otago (new zealand) - required to do one year of Health sci first then get into med school

ANU - canberra (brand new) studyat.anu.edu.au/psp2.a...=1&disc=89

Bond - about to open med school but $$$$

Adelaide - no idea - www.adelaide.edu.au/progr...rog/health

Auckland - NZ - need health sci first.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head...if i have left anything out sorry.

Whoa,

Thanks guys (and gals) for your help. I've got my homework set for me.

I also have another concern. As an international student, how easy is it to secure a internship position, and even work in Australia as a physician?

Would I also be able to work in the US, eventhough I am not a US citizen? (I know that getting back into Canada is quite difficult)

CC

Guest redshifteffect

Kelly,

imed.ecfmg.org/results.as...s&psize=25

here is a good link for all the schools you can apply to in Oceania including Australia and NZ.

CC...

Internship is not 100% guaranteed if you are an international student. However most students do eventually end up getting a place somewhere. As I have said your best best to stay in Australia and get into a residency training program is with a PR. If you are not that picky you can get a NZ Pr and do something there for a couple of years until you can obtain a citizenship. ONce you get that you are almost 100% guaranteed to be an aussie PR, after which you can get into residency positions.

You have tonnes of other options though if you don't get an internship in Australia - you can apply to NZ, Ireland, UK, Malaysia, Singapore etc.

With the Intnership you can be a GP (non FRCAGP) or an RMO in Australia - meaning you can work in hospitals or be a GP without gov't subsidies...

Your chances in the US are good...but it all depends on your USMLE scores...if you do well then you're set. If you dont' then you're stuffed.

Archived