Premed 101 Forums

Canadian citizen with a foreign undergraduate degree

Hello, I'm a Canadian citizen and was born in British Columbia. I went abroad for my studies and I am currently in my third year of pursuing an undergraduate degree. I want to go back to Canada for medical school.

Given my situation, I'm thinking of pursuing a second degree at UBC before applying to medicine. Do you think this is a good idea? What are my chances of getting into a medical school in Canada?

Thanks! Hope you could give me any of your ideas or suggestions.

• 1 month later...

This worked for me: I wrote to almost every school I was interested to apply to with the question how they calculate my GPA? BC has its own credentials assessment organisation, so, I sent my diploma to them. In Ontario this is WES. In Qc McGill does it on its own, French schools rely on the Ministry of Immigration evaluation service. The last statement is to be checked - I did not use it. The results were different and calculated Gpa varied from 3.42 to 3.98 - you see the difference, ehh? So did my tactics.

If your evaluation result is decent there is no need to do another undegrad in terms of GPA. As for if it is acceptable or not - yes, it is. Do your best, get really good grades and you are safe. Med schools do not mind considering international undegrad degrees.

Best of luck, s.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Sergie. May I ask if you were accepted by any medical school as of now? And from what country did you get your undergrad degree? Thanks for your advice :) .

Sure. I am from the fromer SU, my mother tongue is Russian. I was accepted to McGill med.

It was a real headache to contact each and every school and get way too many negative answers - very stressfull, but finally everything paid off. For me it was first year applying.

PS: Don't forget though, you will need all preqs to be done in Canada and, preferably, even though it is not always possible, as a FT student with a very good final result comparable to GPAs of the best applicant's! This is to prove you are able to function in Canadian university system as well.

Archived