Premed 101 Forums

IMGs

Guest ikaj

So far I have been largely discouraged from applying to foreign medical schools. I have been warned that I would have to forget about my dreams of practicing medicine in Canada if I studied abroad.

Is this really true?

I know there are alot of foreign-graduate medical doctors practicing in Canada.

So I guess it's not impossible then...maybe it's just difficult?

Guest redshifteffect

Its not impossible just very difficult.

You have to match for the 2nd round of CaRMS and there aren't that many spots left afterwards. Also the only spots left are usually GP positions, which most people don't want to do.

The foreign docs that you might be thinking of are usually people who have done their training in their own countries and passed all the Canadian exams.

If you are able to get training in your country which is recognized in Canada (ie UK/Ireland/South African/Aus/NZ) and pass the exams there are very few hassles...if not then you have major problems.

Guest LestatZinnie

check out this link:

www.caribbeanmedicine.com/

From what I hear, if you go to foreign school then you can practically forget about working in Canada as a physician. Of course, nothing is impossible, but the odds are very very slim to my knowledge.

The odds may be even less considering that med school enrolments are increasing in some provinces (at least in BC, Que) so competition for desirable residencies in the near future will be fierce.

Guest redshifteffect

Lestatzinne,

The caribbean medicine site is referring specially to IMGs from the Caribbean that have no post graduate training...with post graduate training from the above mentioned countries the situation is a little different.

Guest quebecboy

Hey,

If you do your training abroad (US excluded) and you want to come to Canada, it is quite difficult. I spoke a few years back to a guy who had done his studies at St-George's University in Grenada. He told me that once he came back to Montreal, the college of physicians told him that he had to go to McGill or another university that train foreign grads (basically, he needed to restart his 2 years of clerkship), complete the training, do residency and then he could practice. He eventually pleaded his case in court, and received recognition of his status. However, he told me that it was a very long and difficult process. If you can't get in Canada, a few US schools have lower admittance averages, and once your finished your training, it is definitely easier to come back to Canada than if you were an IMG.

Quebecboy

Guest redshifteffect

Quebecboy,

Coming back to Canada from the Caribbean with NO post grad training is very difficult, no one is arguing this.

However coming back to Canada from Ireland,UK,Aus,NZ WITH post grad training is not difficult at all. Please follow the above links...if you go to Newfoundland, Manitoba they WILL give you a conditional license right away. If you pass all the tests then you get a full licence, but you'll have to work in an underserved area for a number of years. After this you are free to go to any province you want.

Jeff,

Some provinces such as Quebec and Ontario have their own training progarms. Yes this is true, but keep in mind that to be eligible to enter these programs you must do at least 1 year of training IN CANADA....to get into that program in Ontario there are only 50 spots every year...!!! Finally even if you get into this training program, there is no guarantee you will be able to get into the spots reserved for IMGs...no offence but I'd rather take my chance with the second round of CaRMS.

Guest redshifteffect

members.tripod.com/donalda13/faq.html

been approved as an immigrant, can I practice medicine in Canada?

Didn't you sign a waiver saying you are aware there will be difficulties getting a licence or Canadian training before they gave you the visa? Even if you didn't sign one, if you didn't graduate or are not certified or licenced in the U.S., UK, Australia, New Zealand, Eire, or South Africa there are considerable obstacles to practicing medicine in Canada.

Since the prerequisites needed for medical licensure (even a temporary one) in Canada, unless you were educated AND trained AND certified in the U.S., UK, Australia, New Zealand, Eire, and South Africa, are extremely difficult to attain if not impossible for most

So what does this prove? If you go overseas go to one of the above countries and make sure you can do your post grad training there!!

Archived