Premed 101 Forums

ECs and a hypothetical situation

SO I was wondering: I have attended my interview and am now playing the waiting game. Any idea if Ottawa contacts verifiers after the interview (i.e. does anyone know of verifiers already being contacted)? Some of my verifiers are from very long ago with maybe a passing knowledge of me. What if Ottawa calls, and my verifiers say they are not sure who I am. Do I get a chance to explain myself? Or am I automatically rejected?

Rumor has it that if there's a problem with one of your verifiers, they will contact you & give you a chance to give the correct info. I'm not sure how good my source is (cause I don't remember where I heard that), but it seems to make sense. Of course if there's a problem with most of your verifyers (ie most say they don't know who you are) then it might be more worrysome...

Thanks guys! That definitely makes me feel a bit better. I'd hope they would contact me to explain myself (so, at the very least, I could provide another contact to verify the activity). In any case, I'm going to try to get a hold of most of my verifiers some time in the next two weeks to make sure something like this doesn't happen.

If anyone has any additional input (on when verifiers will be contacted, and if you are given a chance to explain), that would be great too.

I'm pretty sure they contact verifiers before the interviews - I mean how is it fair to give an interview based on a sketch score that is false?

I was going to give a story about a student who got in with a falsified sketch, but figured it would start too much sh*t. In short, some honest people tried to alert the faculty but were unsuccessful.

The point is, don't ever worry about your truthful verifiers giving you trouble. If they really believed you were lying about that activity, I'm sure you'd have an opportunity to work with the verifier to find proof (a name in an address book, a photograph of that activity, a third party who knew both of you, etc). What I've seen, however, suggests to me that they don't always take the verifiers as seriously as us honest students would hope.

still no answer - when are verifiers contacted? Before or after interviews are done? Second of all, some people say if you need to stop an ongoing activity on ur sketch, it's ok b/c they only credit you from sept 2007 and before, not after... so no credit for the current year's ongoing hours... regardless should we call ottawa and say I'm no longer doing x or y b/c i have a sched conflict for eg?

I checked and asked all my verifiers before putting their name down on my application. That way (even if you had worked for them a long time ago) they would3will remember you easier and it will ring a bell if ever someone were to call presenting themselves from OMSAS regarding so and so`s applciation.

Just an idea.

still no answer - when are verifiers contacted? Before or after interviews are done? Second of all, some people say if you need to stop an ongoing activity on ur sketch, it's ok b/c they only credit you from sept 2007 and before, not after... so no credit for the current year's ongoing hours... regardless should we call ottawa and say I'm no longer doing x or y b/c i have a sched conflict for eg?

I'm not sure when verifiers are contacted.

Don't worry at all if you stoped an activity since you submitted your sketch. If you had to call them everytime you stopped an activity/started something new, I'm guessing most applicants would have to call at least once or twice!... your sketch is not evaluated based on this year... relax! If they pic you, they'll really want you and it's not something like that that'll make a difference!:) Best of luck!

I was going to give a story about a student who got in with a falsified sketch, but figured it would start too much sh*t. In short, some honest people tried to alert the faculty but were unsuccessful.

So why bother mentionning it at all?

If you were referring to a posting by a member on here last year.....please everyone remember that that post was hearsay from an anonymous poster who was embitterred that he/she did not gain admittance.

So why bother mentionning it at all?

If you were referring to a posting by a member on here last year.....please everyone remember that that post was hearsay from an anonymous poster who was embitterred that he/she did not gain admittance.

No, I wasn't on these boards last year. I was referring to a situation I watched unfold in real life (but that I was not a part of). The only parties involved were the student, the faculty and non-medicine-bound complainants (not an embittered rejectee).

Seeing what happened and how it was handled just had a really negative impact on my faith in the system.

Archived