Premed 101 Forums

coming back to canada...wayne state or BU?

hey guys, I just found out that I got into BU this weekend and i'm thrilled! On the other hand, I'm wondering which school would be better to go to if I ultimately want to come back to Canada for residency. I know that BU is ranked higher than Wayne state but I've read a comment in some of the previous posts that the canadian schools don't know much about the US schools apart from the very outstanding ones. another poster also mentioned that canadian schools do know about the superior clinical exposure/training at wayne.

in terms of city atmosphere of I def. like boston more than detroit. but i'm more worried at this point about residency and coming back to canada...

any thoughts?

The only factors that I would take into consideration for Wayne State are:

My ability to live in windsor and thus saving insurance.

The ability of your partner( if you have one) or even you to work while going to school.

Other than that I would go for the cheaper school, it doesn't matter what school you go to if you are planning to go back to Canada. Any Canadian university graduate have better chances than you even if you were a Harvard graduate.

Comparing BU to Wayne is not necessary, imo, because they both would have the same influence on your chances of matching into a Cdn res. What will influence your chances of matching into your program of choice, will be your boards scores (the Canadian ones), your academic achievement in med school, and your performance during clerkships (HUGE - MOST importantly would be your performance during your electives in Canadian hospitals). Thus, to me, it is a NO brainer - Boston is much better than Detroit imo, BU is ranked higher than Wayne (well, Wayne is not even ranked, ahahaha, nice ego boost), BU is cheaper (deal breaker).

I would like to point out that on the whole, graduating from a Top 5 US school does carry weight. It's not true that PDs know nothing about US programs - we live in an age where people collaborate, travel back and forth, read journals, attend conferences, network, do fellowships in the US then return, have colleauges who trained in the US, etc. It's simply not true to say that an average student from USask (who's program has received scrutiny in the past, so PDs would be aware of that) would have an advantage over a top canadian student graduating from HMS who has done all the necessary things (ie. do ALL electives in Canadian hospitals, did well to impress the PDs of their residency programs of choice, have amazing LORs, done some amazing research during the summers, etc).

Congrats on the two acceptances btw.

Archived