Premed 101 Forums

MMI conflict of interest

What constitutes a conflict of interest for MMIs?

I had previously TA'ed one of the "graders" at an MMI station. Without disclosing the nature of the station, there were other people in the room, and neither of us acknowledged that we had met before.

I asked my student host afterwards, and she said the onus was on the interviewer to declare the conflict, if s/he felt it was (in)appropriate. Should I mention this to Mac? What's the proper etiquette in this situation?

from what I understand, there is a place at the top of the form that the assessor is to tick off if there is a conflict of interest (ie: they know you).

also, if there were other people in the room- perhaps the person who knows you was not the one grading you? just a thought.

If you have concerns, I would suggest you contact the school and share those with them.

• 2 weeks later...
from what I understand, there is a place at the top of the form that the assessor is to tick off if there is a conflict of interest (ie: they know you).

so what happens? is that station not counted or do they drop down the particular mark?

Im surprised the interviewer doesnt just call it and say 'hold up' and not do it

Interesting...my CEO does Mac interviews and she told me she would say it was a conflict of interest if she interviewed me. I thought that was weird since there are 400 staff at my place, and yes she knows my name in such but we only talk maybe four or five times a year! Thankfully I got through it without running into her.

I contacted the school. In my case, the interviewer acknowledged the conflict of interest.

I was told each incident is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. The nature of the conflict is examined, as well as the score the interviewer gave me in relation to the other interviewees.

Archived