Premed 101 Forums

Score Breakdown

Hi Everyone,

I've heard a number of people mention the score breakdown for applicants post interview. I think I've seen it around here somewhere- but can't seem to find it. Can anyone help me out... I know its 30 for supplemental.. but no idea about the rest!

Thanks!

I don't believe they score it any differently pre-interview. For IP students the rule is if you meet cutoffs and "have a reasonable chance for admissions" then you get an interview. I think the extra clause in there gives them the option to not give out interviews to a few people if there are any glaring problems with their applications. I don't know what they do for OOP students. Obviously, they have to give them a more thorough look because they have to choose the top 60 or so. I would imagine though they look at the regular score minus the interview section and take the top people from that for the interview.

I think they break the supplemental down even further (this is what i was told by Evelyn Sutton when she spoke at my university):

5- interests and activities

5- extracurriculars

5- volunteer

5- medical experience

5- jobs

5- awards

for a total of 30... i think they have a bit of play on the actual numbers, but it's basically 5 points for each section on the supp documents

I am so glad that the supplemental section is broken up like that. I was afraid that my working throughout high school/university would be over shadowed by people that volunteer their life away but since they're equal I think I should score decent in both. The award section will screw me over though.

Do you know if it's quantity or quality when they are scoring the work/volunteer experience? I mean does working as say a server look worse than say working in a high paying job despite the fact that you worked equally as hard?

hey.. i didn't do any volunteering because i was working.... and i got in to dal. although i did work in a hospital for three years so i think they might look at the difficulty of the job and the time that you invest in it... but volunteering isn't the be all and end all that some might think! :P

I think they break the supplemental down even further (this is what i was told by Evelyn Sutton when she spoke at my university):

5- interests and activities

5- extracurriculars

5- volunteer

5- medical experience

5- jobs

5- awards

for a total of 30... i think they have a bit of play on the actual numbers, but it's basically 5 points for each section on the supp documents

The supplemental section also includes the essays, or at least it did in the past. Thus, I'm not sure the breakdown is exactly as above, but it will be something similar, with some marks awarded for the essays as well. I don't think "interests and activities" is any different from "extra-curriculars" so I would imagine those are the marks for the essays.

• 1 month later...

Archived