Premed 101 Forums

Scottish Chap??

Guest hoomsy

Hey Scottish Chap.....

the degree from oxford is called

Bachelors of Medicine and Baccalaureus Chirurgiae (Bachelor of Surgery)

does that mean ur not a "doctor" ?....

Thanks

Hoomsy

Guest Scottish Chap

MBBS (bachelor of medicine and bachelor of surgery) is the U.K./Australian/South African /Indian etc. "doctor of medicine" degree. The “true doctors” in those countries are Ph.D.’s. MBChB means the same thing, but in Latin ("Chirurgie" is Latin for surgery). You sometimes see other permutations: BMBS, BMBChir, MBBChir etc. but they mean the same thing. I don't mean to major in the minors, but I hope that helps.

Chirurgie is Latin for surgery and this is where the original qualification, "ChB", stems from. In Scotland, medicine used to be taught in Latin and the exams were also written in Latin; it was not until the 18th century that they changed it to English.

BTW, if you see a British physician with M.D. after their name, that usually means they have a research degree as well as their medical degree. An M.D. awarded in the U.K. can be obtained by physicians that do two years of research and they must submit a thesi (it is not equal to an "MD/PhD")...it takes less time than doing a Ph.D. and most only do to it make themselves competitive for promotion in the clinical realms.

Guest redshifteffect

Hoomsy,

It's not really a question about practicing in the US...because a UK degree will definitely be recgonized in the US (without any licensing restrictions) but it's more of a question of your score in the USMLE.

To practice in the US you will have to write your USMLE and (since you are a US citizen) you will have a good chance of getting a residency providing you pass this exam. The only problem may be if you are interested in a very competitive speciality.

Yeah that's what I was worried about. I wanted to do plastics or cadiology. Shoot...maybe I should just stay in the US. I just had this whole thing that if I did ALL my schooling in the US (especially my home state) I would be so sick of it I wouldn't end up living there. This is why I've done my undergraduate chemistry degree in Canada. I've never been to Europe at all before, and I thought that Oxford would be a nice place to go. I've already bought my plane tickets for the interview next week. Ehh... but if I go there and it causes me to be at a serious disadvantage, maybe I should just suck it up and go to the US.

Ahhh!!!

Thanks

Hoomsy

Guest Scottish Chap

Hi again. Listen…go to your Oxford interview and keep an open mind. If going there becomes a reality (moving there, that is), then you can sweat the choices you have.

If you think you'll end up living and working in the U.S., training in their education system at this stage is the very best thing to do. I have to tell you that British education is very different from North American education. Believe me, I found the transition to the U.S.-based system cumbersome.

In addition, it's a very different culture (in the U.K.). Medical school is not a walk in the park, as you know, so these added stresses in your life should be considered. I'm not trying to put you off. You're obviously very bright and I'm sure you'll do well wherever you go. You’ve done well to get this far and, because of this, you’ll likely do very well whatever you decide to do.

On a side note...you'll have absolutely no problem returning to the U.S. to work as a physician if you train in the U.K. and pass the USMLE. That should be the least of your worries. Good luck! :)

Archived