Premed 101 Forums

Waiting for Northern Ontario summer family medicine electives- anybody heard back?

Hi everyone,

I'm getting a little bit antsy waiting to hear back about the Northern Ontario summer elective that I applied for. My start date is after July 1st, so I had originally received a mass email saying that they will get to scheduling the electives starting after July 1st (or doesn't end until after July 1st) in March.

We are now nearing the middle of April, and I still haven't gotten a reply. I applied on January 31st, which I know was very late... so I fear that there isn't a spot for me.

I'm wondering - did anybody else applying for a late-summer Northeastern Ontario family medicine elective hear back yet?

Thanks so much!

I did my family med rotation through NOSM/NorMed in August 2007. I was confirmed by the end of Feb 2007. I had also applied very early, approximately Feb 2006 and they place you first-come first-serve prioritizing for medical students/residents doing core clerkship rotations.

They were usually very good at getting back to me, so I would send off an email. If you are flexible with your locations, I am sure they will find you something. I ended up having my schedule rearranged, spending a week in Sault Ste Marie and then 3 weeks in Wawa, and they pulled everything together very quickly (housing, travel, etc).

Edit: My original assumption was that you were applying for a core family med rotation. If this isn't the case, then you may not necessarily have a spot this summer. Sometimes they schedule those at the last minute d/t preceptor shortages/vacations/etc. I was living with a NOSM student in SSM and she found out 2 weeks before she started they had a rotation for her. If you don't get anything this summer, you can always try to do your family rotation in a rural location.

It was a great opportunity and I highly encourage at least one rural rotation. My rural family rotation was very diverse. That one week in SSM was entirely anesthesia. I did more spinals in SSM then I saw in London!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived