Premed 101 Forums

Clerkship in French cities

Macster

Hey all,

I was reading the registration agreement form, and it says that McGill is currently developing clerkship programs in Gatineau, Hull, and other cities outside of Montreal, and that we may thus have to spend third year outside Montreal. Now, for someone like me, who is planning to improve my French as much as possible, but still might not be passably bilingual by third year, that notion is a little intimidating.

My question is this: How accommodating is the administration? If I specifically asked for a clerkship in Montreal, would they be nice enough about it, or would they throw me to the wolves with my lack of language skills? I hear that Gatineau and Hull are over 80% francophone. . .

Cheers

Macster

Ha ha...funny you should mention that.

I am an Ottawa U student doing my psych rotation at CHPJ in hull and the nurse yesterday just told me of a McGill student that was sent there who didn`t speak any French! Poor student as everything (charting etc) is done in French at this hospital and many staff but especially pts don`t have strong English skills.

Anyway, I have no idea if the student asked to be placed there or if McGill just sent her there and she had no choice.

But good question to ask the school before you apply/accept so you know what you might be in for!

Actually, the Hull parts of Gatineau are getting very English. There are literally blocks filled w/ anglos due to the rise in housing prices in Ottawa. You can pretty much get by speaking English. In my opinion, it's easier getting services in downtown (just don't leave downtown :eek: ) Gatineau in English than in Ottawa in English.

I better check if there are any other anglos on my block in Hull. I thought I was the only one :P

While I was in dietetics (same school, different administration), we had to specify if we were fluent in, capable of, or completely incapable of speaking French at the beginning of the program. The administration then did their best to fill the spots at the predominantly-French hospitals/clinics/other placements with francophone students or those that could speak French well. It wasn't a perfect system, but seemed to work quite well. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a similar system in med.

That said, wherever you go, you most certainly will have a large number of French patients (even at the McGill network hospitals). The biggest difference is usually the language in which the charts are written, and perhaps to a smaller extent the ratio of French:English patients.

Thanks for all of your responses guys.

I'm really going to buckle down the first two years and get my French learning on. . .maybe do a summer program in French?

I'm sure it'll all work out.

Dude, you have 2 years, dont worry about it. Just watch TV in french only, listen to radio in french only. Speak french daily. You'll be fine

Archived